• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need another TC Hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Local flea market has a 54 in good external condition. A little rust at the nipple, missing original rear sight but has a nice tang mounted peep. Quick look at the end of the barrel looks good but need to bring a light and cleaning jag to look closer and check the twist. Wood is good.

Price tag is $150.

I have a bunch of GM barrels that will fit as well as a NIB/OEM 1-66 TC barrel.

Should I........

I currently have two TC Renegades and two Hawkens in 50 and 54 so the parts might come in handy (another recent thread)

If it were me I'd probably buy it just to have a "loaner" rifle to introduce new shooters to the sport, but you already have 4 available to you. In your position I'd suggest buying $150 worth of powder, lead, and caps.

Mad Professor,offer them $125,I bet they will jump on it.Even at $150 if in good shape it is worth that.If it has a good tang sight that alone is worth over $50 bucks.

I spent $220 today for ammo (Biden is a great salesman) for CFs and caps for BP :thumbsup:

I've got a good stash of swiss and goex and more lead than I can lift :grin:

Prairieofthedog said:
Mad Professor,offer them $125,I bet they will jump on it.Even at $150 if in good shape it is worth that.If it has a good tang sight that alone is worth over $50 bucks.
^^^

What he said.

If nothing else you can part it out and turn a profit.

Besides the TCs I have some lyman/investarm too. Lots of the parts interchange.

Last time I "loaned" one, I drove a whole herd (9 deer) past the loaner, some at bow range, he never shot......and he won't get a loaner again.

Nah, it's just another TC Hawken.
Buy the powder, lead an caps,,
Or save your money and look for a Mountain Rifle.
Maybe it's time for a smoothy and a Hawken stock don't work real good for that,,

I guess they come up for less than that from time ta time around this neck of the woods, :idunno:

I have a lyman 62 smoothie for my plains rifle, no choke a partridge gun. That fits my TCs too, In a pinch it will launch a PRB just fine

Also a toledo full choke barrel for my renegades/TCs , that is a 12ga/0.72 extra full choke. Got that for turkeys /geese/ducks.

So again do I need another , or do I have MLA (muzzleloaders addiction?)

Maybe time for a rock lock?
HELP ME

I got a T/C Hawken in a trade in'77. I shot it for years. It was all I needed for a smokepole until about three years ago. Then, why not a 54? Why not a Renegade? Why not a 58 Renegade? Why not a WhiteMountian? How about a PennHunter? A RenegadeHunter 54? , Hawken 58? WhiteMountian 54? 56sb? NewEnglander 50&54? Seneca? Cherokee?
Flint? Etc etc etc.

Yes I had to have them all [30+]. This obsession is expensive and absorbs a lot of time.

On the other hand $150 for a decent T/C Hawken ain't bad. My rules: NO rust in the bore, damn little anywhere else. NO cracks in the stock. Dings maybe, dents NO.

I'm sure this is helpful, P.A.

For $150 bucks I'd say go for it, you can make a profit on it. It has nothing to do with needing anything, it is all about wanting it! These days anything you can make a profit you better jump on it. It will sell right here for $300. Refinish the stock and clean it up and maybe you can get a little more. Plus you can play with it in the mean time.

Yes you do!!!! buy it its only money, look at the fun you will have playing with. Then you can sale it and buy all that powder, caps and bullets.

Hows that for help? :rotf:

They go for 150 or so around here. But the tang site adds to the value and you can always resell it if you need, I would buy it if money wasn't tight. Larry

Hey, I rescue them when I see "em". I bought 2 Renegades, and a Hawken, for 275. and had 1 Hawken give to me. The one Renegade looked like new, one Hawken was unfired, one Hawken was in fair condition,(no rust), and one Renegade was a rust bucket. I put a new GM on the rust bucket.

If people don't want them, I'll take them to a good home,some TLC, and feed them on a regular basis.

What has need got to do with it? Since you've already passed the multiple smokepole barrier,go for it. If you want to be a bear,be a grizzly bear.

Ya buy it. Clean it up, and either (like Trent/OH said) use it as a loaner or sell it and make some money off of it.

O.K. will go down with cleaning rod to see what the barrel is and make a offer. :confused:

Could be a mighty fine gun with my new 1-66 TC barrel on top :thumbsup:

Best to all, MP

I may be adding another TC Hawken to my collection as well. The guy has now dropped the price down to where I can't lose. I blame this all on "Roundball and the rest of you who have lead me down this path"! But I'm having fun so who cares.

Back