• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixon's gunmakers' fair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to Blacksburg:
I live in Sterling, VA not far from the Dulles airport. My current project is a .54 cal. rifle in the Christian Springs style with a 54" barrel. A friend of mine who is a dealer in old guns found this barrel in a rotted stock along with a Brown Bess lock wired to it. He gave it to me for payment when i repaired several guns for him. Don Getz said that the barrel looks very genuine and was probably from the New England/New York area ca. 1750-70. Bobby Hoyt was able to bore it out and sleeve it to .54 cal. I'm going to try to get this thing ready for Dixon's this year. When I figure out how to publish photos on this site, I'll put some up.

I have a lot of friends from Northern Virgina and I have visited up there, but it's too crowded for me. The New River Valley is much nicer, even if I'm not living there now.

I'd like to see some pictures of your Marshall as it progresses -- One of my favorites.

Your not very far from Wayne Dunlap. If you ever get the time stop and visit Wayne. He is one heck of a super person and very interesting to talk with. I lived in VA for a few years, southwestern VA in a small town called Independence.
Nice area and nice folks there.
I am going to try and get to Dixon's this year and if I do I hope to meet some of the ML forum family when there. :)

Re. Dunlap's: Wayne and Daniel have been of great help to me. My first rifle was a Dunlap blank. Also Daniel's father planed my rough walnut for my grandchildren's cradle. It took Wayne 4 months to find me a long enough plank for my current project (72").

1776Patriot said:
If you think you need it, and can't find it at the Gunmaker's Fair, you probably don't need it. :thumbsup:

:hmm: I usually find a lot of things that I never knew I needed until I saw them there! :haha:

Can't wait - it's coming up soon! Every year we try to get a little MLF meet & greet going... are we going to try again this year? :thumbsup:

I think this year I might "need" a flint pistol... :hmm:

I've never been, but I'm flying up this year just to see what I've missed all these years :wink: .

I have a friend who just relocated to Herndon from PA and is originally a Falls Church native many years ago. Where do you folks shoot there? I think I recall that there was a range out on Sully Road - but that was 20 years ago (Isaac Walton league?). Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.

der Forster, you will not be disappointed! I've been going for years, and still look forward to each July with anticipation. In fact, I just ordered a Muzzleloading Forum t-shirt and hat for the occasion. So, if you see an old, white haired guy with a matching white beard with Forum hat and shirt, be sure to say hello. :hatsoff:

Ive never been to one either.
Its about 75 minutes from my farm.
Maybe Ill try to go.
Soundes like fun.

I drove 9 hours to go to the fair back in 2003, and don't regret a minute of it. I would go again this year if I had the money to spend. You won't regret making the trip.

Latest posts

Back