• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie "Tower" Pistol Rebuild?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR James

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of the old Japanese-made, "Tower" pistols sold by Dixie back in the 70s. I know these guns are junk, but it was a gift I gave to my father back then and I re-acquired it after his death so it has sentimental value. I would like to get it into functional condition which mainly requires rebuilding the lock. Has anyone rebuilt one of these locks who could steer me to a source of usable parts, etc? I already have an orginal sea service cock I picked up years ago and a good frizzen. Mostly it needs new internals.
(Moderator: if this needs to be moved to flintlocks or handguns, feel free)

Dixie may have parts. They have many things not in the catalog. A phone call might get you the help you need.
Or, look for another and canabalize the parts.
However, as you said it is "junk". I would hang on wall.

I am working on one myself right now. Trying to find other pistols that people don't want to practice on also. Researching at this point, but it looks like I am going to have to machine a few of the lock parts and make a few springs. Kit Ravenshears booklets are helping out quite a bit. I remember seeing some before and after pics somewhere. Let me do some didgging and I will post them or send them to you. I have a friend who had one redone and it looks like an English light dragoon and you would never be able to tell that it was once a Tower Pistol. I will ask him if I can post pics of his. I have

The pistol on top is the reworked pistol and the one on the bottom is a tower pistol. A friend did this pistol. I am looking for a tower pistol so that I can practice and see what I can come up with.

Towerpistolsidebyside.jpg

Towerpistolbackview.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for posting the pics. Do you know what the lock is he used for the replacement?

Upon closer inspection, it looks like an L&R Queen Anne with the rear of the lockplate reshaped. I took a QA off of one of my guns to try and it looks like it could be made to fit and funtion. It would change the look from a sea service pistol (re-enforced cock) to a light dragoon (gooseneck cock). Might have to think about this.

The cock is a replacement. The rest of the lock is original with the sides of the plate rounded. I have the modified pistol, I need to remove the cock and match it up in my Track or Rifle Shoppe catalog to a cock that I can buy.

I see. My problem is I need to replace the lock internals as they are junk and not usable. I have an original sea service cock that will work fine for that part.

Well your idea of the queene anne lock may be your best bet then. Is it just the springs that are giving you problems on the lock or is it not holding half cock or something like that?

The mainspring is too weak but that's not that much of a problem as others can be fitted. However, the toe of the tumbler is so short that most mainsprings slip off of it when at rest position. If you try to relocate the mainspring forward, then there is not enough room for the top of the hook under the bridle at full cock. I don't have welding skills but adding metal to the toe of the tumbler, reshaping and rehardening might work.

You need to get Kit Ravenshears booklet. Simplified V springs is the title if I am not mistaken. It gives step by step instructions on how to make and repair springs etc. and it is written so even I can make sense of it. I got a copy because the springs on my Loyalist kit had not been tempered. It was pretty easy to do and I did it with a propane torch.

Just a suggestion. I wonder how hard it would be to make a new tumbler?

Kit has passed away but he has 7 other booklets that cover wood, metal and a ton of other gunsmithing stuff. I got my copies from TOTW.

Thanks, I have most of Kit's books. Have made springs before and have some spring stock but it's sometimes easier to fit a new spring if you can find one that works. Making a tumbler from scratch is probably beyond my means and tooling. Dixie used to sell blank tumblers but all they have now are for percussion locks.

Is your Sea service pistol one that was made in India? I know that Loyalist Arms is now selling just locks and maybe they would have one that would work.

Kevin

You can try to strengthen the mainspring by heating red hot, then spread the arms a little more apart, then re-heat treat. I recently did one on a Tower with very good success. I only opened the spread no more than about 3/16". What do you have to lose?

I considered that but it's such a small spring for that size lock I wasn't sure even that would be sufficient...it's really weak. But as you said, what have I got to lose, especially since it worked for you. Still have a problem with the tumbler. Best bet on that would be to add metal to the nose and reshape. I don't weld so would have to have it done.

The pistol on top is the reworked pistol and the one on the bottom is a tower pistol. A friend did this pistol. I am looking for a tower pistol so that I can practice and see what I can come up with.

Towerpistolsidebyside.jpg

Towerpistolbackview.jpg
I'd like to get mine redone or at least the lock. I have the stock and some of the brass. I was thinking about having a barrel done by Ryan Roberts @ Muzzleloader Builder Supply. Maybe a waste of time and money but I can alwaya use another flinter. Could I send my lock plate and have it done up like yours ? I've seen some of these fitted with Siler internals and screws. These are really "frankenpistols" but still useable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back