• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie /Palmetto Derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
img]http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/deringpalm.jpg[/img]
Or if failed:
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/deringpalm.jpg

Wanting to learn something about Deringers, I ordered this kit from Dixie. Did it with low expectations given the reviews of it on the Dixie web site. Problem was, it's the closest thing available to the original products of Henry Deringer that doesnt cost as much as an original. The kit and a completed version come from Palmetto Arms in Italy. The fully assembled pistol is back ordered - a situation that can extend from two months to infinity depending on the motivations of the manufacturer. Dixie has been selling these things for years due more to customer demand than any expectation of quality. Dixie does that, sells what the demand supports but then allows customers to rate the products on line. Palmetto Arms products are not well liked by consumers and the only faintly positive reviews they get usually end up"..... It is a Great Replica! and someday I may take it out and shoot it!"

The kit lived down to expectations. At first glance it became obvious that duplicating Henry Deringer's finely finished pistol would not be possible. Inletting for the metalic furniture was oversized. The walnut stock had important voids and it developed that no major or minor part escaped the need for further inletting,machining or modification. It wasn't a nightmare. It was one nightmare after another after another. To many nightmares, little and big to relate them all but one highlight occured when the tip of the upper sear arm crumbled away. I was able to recut the angle and restore the function of the lock- at least for a while. Another matter of interest was ignition. The nipples were to small for even #10 caps. I had to shorten them and thin the tops as well as unscrew the nipple about half a turn to get any sort of consistent cap ignition. It never did reach 100%.

Dixie has a general one year warranty. However, if you loose or break any of the parts you are on your on. Spares are not availble from Dixie and Palmetto will not answer e-mail in english or italian.

I did get it shooting and possibly learned something about Deringers in the process. H. Deringer small pistols appeared in the same general from the 1830s until the Civil War in calibers ranging from "38"- 45-50. They quickly became the gun to imitate among housholders and travelers.
deringerlock.jpg

The J. Wilkes Booth pistol seems to have had a bore of .45 and shot a patched .41 Caliber ball. The Dixie gun has a groove to grove measurement of about .40" with land to land measurement of .390". It is supposed to use a .380 patched ball with the charge recommended by Palmetto being 20 grains of FFFG.
On the heals of that, Palmetto then issued a companion powder flast with a 10 grain spout. I tried the ten grain charge with Swiss fffg powder getting 261 fps.
Increasing to twenty grains brought the average velocities to 451 fps and 351 fps with the same charge of Goex fffg. Swiss delivered 37 ft lbls of energy while the goex load was more like a .22 CCI mini cap from a rifle- 24ft lbs.

Fully loaded, the ball came within 3/8" of the muzzle of the pistol. I didn't expect much accuracy but was gratified to shoot a 7" group on a silhouette at 30 feet. I made head shots at 5, 10 and 15 feet. This is about what I would expect from such a small pistol.

Building and shooting the Palmetto Derringer was like taking a trip back in time in Professor Peabody's Wayback Machine. During the first decades of the replica arms industry, there was no such thing as quality control and decent performance was a rare commodity. The better Gardonne Valley companies have greatly improved but Palmetto holds fast to the decades- old tradition

Mec, very interesting post. I've been interested in derringers recently and its nice to see some info on their performance. Sorry the building proccess was such a drag. I am interested in the palmetto McNab and the Abilene derringers. They arn't kits but your post makes me wonder if they would be worth the money. Recently I bought two Traditions Philly derringers and had to tinker a little with both, mainly just reshaping the nipples and the hammers a little. After a little tinkering they pop caps reliably though they both hangfire. Hangfires may have more to do with using pyrodex more than anything else. I don't have a chronagraph but I tested penetration with a 1 inch peice of pressure treated decking. With 25 grains of Pyrodex P I was able to penetrate the board cleanly. Post any further Derringer data if you please, its very enlightening.

Don

Cruising the Dixie cite and looking at reviews I find a lot of negative input about the Palmetto guns. I haven't seen any of their complete "Lincoln Derringers" but do know that they would have to be a lot more careful with their raw componets to make them right. I seem to recall a positive review of their very cheap Abilene Derringer. they guy had low expectations and was pleased that it made a loud bang. Intertaining review as he suggested it as a gift for the grand child. " Be sure to give it to him when he's too young. This will really ( irritate) the parents."

We had to re-configure the hammer of a Pedersoli Liege screw barrel pistol to get good contact with the caps. This one was ready made and it seems that these small pistols are borderline in the cap busting department. the liege has no sights at all but we were able to shoot into about 4" at 20 feet Velocity with the .451 / 180 grain ball was 365 feet per second. We questioned the lethality of this until we found that it would shoot through a 3/4" pine board every time. This one loads by unscrewing the barrel and pouring 9 grains of powder into the chamber. then you put a ball on top of that and replace the barrel. It has the same box lock design as a lot of Belgian 19th century pistols that came either as screw barrels, multi barrels or straight muzzle loaders.

You mighjt want to read" was the pistol JWB used to shoot Lincoln stolen from Fords" in Americas C W mag may 2005. maybe the problems you ran into is why they sold them in pairs!I got a Pal 58 cal Horse gun with the detached stock it looked great and it shoots (Ispent yrs trying to find the Navy Ams one with no luck) but it makes a nice short shotgun since the flip up sight puts the ball or con in another zip code. :results: :front:

Dixie sells those too. Should be interesting shooting mini balls.
I read the fbi report on the deringer. Shows that the palmetto is a bit smaller all around than booths gun.

Back