• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the Philly Derringer today to check penetration.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I built the derringer from a Traditions kit. I bought it for a camp gun and a novelty. I only shot it a couple of times but I've wondered what it could do for it's intended purpose, which I consider to be a "belly gun". So with the idea that this is a last line of defense to be used at just beyond an assailants reach, I scrounged what I thought would give me a target for a (non-scientific) indication of penetration. I had just received some large artwork and I had multiple sheets of corrugated cardboard plus the box. I added a piece of T-111 picked from the neighbors scrap pile and headed down the river bank.
The target ended up being 7 sheets of cardboard, a piece T-111, plus 2 more layers of cardboard. All in front of a old stump. To keep it simple I just used a charge of 20gr fffg. Then 30gr and 40gr. 1 shot each and check penetration after each shot. I used a .440 RB with a tight patch fired from about 3-4 feet..
SHOT 1 - 20gr Hit close to mark. Penetration : 5 sheets cardboard. Almost no deformation of RB
SHOT 2 - 30gr Hit 2 in from mark. Penetration: 7 sheets cardboard and almost thru T-111. Front flattened on RB.
SNOT 3 - 40gr Hit 3 in from mark Penetration: Passed thru all but did not embed in stump. RB not found.
So what does this all prove? Nothing more that it's great to create smoke and have fun on a beautiful fall day! No need to discuss whether this is a good choice of armament or not. Obviously there are better choices. But I can tell you that at 40gr the boom and recoil is serious enough to get your attention and be glad that you're on the right side of the muzzle!

I am tempted about using a derringer as a belly gun for self defense. It sure fits in the pocket really well. Please tell us "country folk" what a T-111 is?
T-111 is a wood based product mostly seen in sheds around here. Similar to plywood but thinner and it usually has some design on it's surface to make it more aesthetic. I would guess what I used was about 3/16" thick.
Do keep in mind that most belly guns were only meant as a deterrent. If used on an assailant it's meant mostly to give you enough time to get away from the threat and not render a kill shot. That certainly depends on size of load and shot placement.
I really liked the Liege derringer but the screw barrel design limited the powder charge to more of a noise maker than a defensive piece. JMO.

We sometimes have derringer shoots at rendezvous. Usually set up with a card table with a cut-out plywood 'gambler ' (Black Bart) opposite. the shooter. You sat with cards in your shooting hand, loaded but not cocked derringer on the table in front of you. The shooter is required to call out somethig about Bart being a rotton cheat (or something). As soon as you open your mouth, the Bart's gun starts to rise; you have only 4 0r 5 seconds to drop yourcards,grab your gun, cock, aim?, and fire. If the Bart;'s eyes light; you were too slow and lost. Sometimes an elimination event, sometimes scored on a targets which were hung on Bart's chest. I usually used an antique screw-barrel .36, and the balls often bounced of Bart's plywood chest. Screw barrel chambers are pretty small.

Ya, I had a screw barrel in the book gun I got somewhere cheap. Son liked it and took it (only bp gun he had interest in lol). Anyway, bang and duck, it wouldn't penetrate nothin. I guess ya had to be a crack shot and hit between the eyes an knock yer adversary out??

"So ....Missus Lincoln, other than that, how'd you like the play?"

J.W. Booth must've been at point-blank range or Ole Abe just wasn't lucky. Regardless, the question of whether or not a Derringer was capable of deadly use was settled right quick.

Thanks for posting this stuff. Always wanted to shoot one of those. Never did.

We sometimes have derringer shoots at rendezvous. Usually set up with a card table with a cut-out plywood 'gambler ' (Black Bart) opposite. the shooter. You sat with cards in your shooting hand, loaded but not cocked derringer on the table in front of you. The shooter is required to call out somethig about Bart being a rotton cheat (or something). As soon as you open your mouth, the Bart's gun starts to rise; you have only 4 0r 5 seconds to drop yourcards,grab your gun, cock, aim?, and fire. If the Bart;'s eyes light; you were too slow and lost. Sometimes an elimination event, sometimes scored on a targets which were hung on Bart's chest. I usually used an antique screw-barrel .36, and the balls often bounced of Bart's plywood chest. Screw barrel chambers are pretty small.
Yep from what I have read most of the screw barrel chambers hold about 10gr of powder. Pretty anemic.

Back