• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIXIE HAWKEN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squib load

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I ORDERED A 54 CAL DIXIE HAWKEN TODAY.IT HAS 1 IN 48
RIFLING AND IS 28.5 IN BARREL.CAN I SHOOT BUFFALO BALLETS OR PATCHED ROUND BALLS?I WILL USE IT FOR PAPER SHOOTING AND HUNTING.I HAVE READ A LOT OF THE POSTS HERE,AND IT SEEMS A LOT OF YOU LIKE HAWKENS.I WANTED TO JOIN THE CROWD.SQUIB

The 1:48 twist should shoot both roundballs and conicals. I even shoot more modern projectiles out of my traditional rifles with that twist.

Ball-et shoot well. I like the 310 grain personally. Also the maxiball should do real well. Roundball will shoot very well out of that twist rifle so you have an all around shooter on your hands.. Congratulations on the new rifle..

That is a very short barrel for Black Powder. Better stick with using FFFg powder in it with PRB. The added mass of the conicals may allow you to use FFg with them, but I would start with 3Fg powder. The barrel will only shoot about 65 grains of FFg powder before its dropping unburned powder out of the muzzle. 65 grains of FFFg powder will give you about the same velocity as 80 grains of FFg. powder.

Squib, that's a great gun. I have one that I built from a kit, with another kit being assembled. It'll shoot round balls and the shorter conicals just fine. I've shot ball-ets and Maxiballs both with good accuracy. I'm going to try the Lee REAL bullets next time I get the chance. Mostly I shoot PRB though and it really does a good job with them. Mine has a definate preference for FFG. I have tried to find a FFFG load that worked, but I never could find an accurate one.

Work up a good load for the rounds balls with luck in a few years we will have ML hunting seasons for rb's only and primitive sights...and those who like long bullets can go hunt with TB(VBG)...the round ball is all you will ever need for deer hunting and they don't cost much.

I have a T/C Hawkins and love mine. Welcome to the club enjoy your shooting. I have a 1:48 also and only shoot PRBs.

I second that. My .50 T/C Hawken is great with PRB's, 2 whitetails so far this year. You are gonna love it
bramble

I don't know the gun, but I can pipe up in support of your choice of 54 cal. Deer probably won't know the difference from a 50, but if you move up in animal size with PRB's I think YOU will notice a difference.

Just for frame of reference, my 1:66 twist GPR 54's both dislike Ballets, but do fine with the 300 grain REAL bullets I cast from pure lead. They both choke on the 380 grain REALs though.

None of them are needed for deer, but it's still kinda fun to try whacking targets and such at longer ranges. The PRB gets pretty weird way out there, but if a conical is stabilized, it is accurate enough at long range to be fun. My favorite long range target is an open 5-gallon bucket full of water. Sure makes a geyser when hit, even at 300 yards. Tape over the holes with duct tape, dip the bucket back into the creek for a refill, then go back to shooting. Even if you take half a dozen buckets with you and shoot next to a creek, you are going to get lots of walking keeping those suckers full.

Call it muzzleloader golf if you string them out 200-300 yards apart along the creek, then move up each time you hit one, repair and fill, and shoot from there at the next one. It'll keep you hiking up and down the creek all day long! And beats heck out of chasing that stupid little white ball!

You are lucky! I tried to order a Dixie Hawken .54 flint kit, but they were out. So I ordered a Lyman GPR .54 flint kit, instead. I have an older GPR .54 percussion. It has a 1 in 48 twist barrel. I have tried 300 gr. and 380 gr. REAL bullets and it doesn't either one, but it shoots balls like crazy! I have shot with a friend of mine who has a Calela's Hawken (same as Dixie). He gets great groups with balls and T/C Maxis. You have to admit, even with a .54 cal. ball you will never be under gunned. :thumbsup:

As far as i know they never had a 1-48" twist in the GPR. Is what you have a Lyman GREAT Plains, or just a Plains rifle?

The Great Plains Rifle is 1 in 60", while the Trade Rifle and Deerstalker is 1 in 48"
Scott

It is a Lyman Great Plains Rilfe. It has 1 in 48 twist. I even called Lyman and they checked by serial number. I bought it new 25 years ago. Like I said earlier, it doesn't like conicals too much, but it shoots balls like crazy. I was going to order a new barrel with the 1 in 60 twist, but figured this was a good excuse to the wife for a new rifle. :rotf:

That may be about the time they dumped the Plaines rifle and tooled up the Great Plaines and used the 1/48 in the early ones?

They're the same gun. Dixie has great sales on theirs occasionally. I bought both my Hawken kits from them for $240 each a couple years back.

Back