• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works New Hours

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see on the Dixie site, they're going to be open M-F only, closed Sat. & Sun.! I can see Sunday closing, but Saturday is always a good shopping day! This is noteworthy if anyone is planning on visiting. (See their site)

It’s a shame to hear that. I haven’t been there in several years but when I used to go I always went there on Saturdays. We’d get up early and hit the road, get there about 10am, shop for a couple of hours, and drive 6 hours back home. Back then the effort was worth it to me. Now, not so much.

They've been having problems with short staffing issues.
You'd think some local guys would love to work there! Some businesses have a "life span" where the owners, or their customers, change out due to modern life, economy, aging of customer base, etc. I know muzzleloading is a small part of the overall sport shooting industry, and hope Dixie prospers well into the future. Dixon's in PA as well! The cost of things today is really concerning; e.g. Pedersoli and other products. :confused:

You'd think some local guys would love to work there! Some businesses have a "life span" where the owners, or their customers, change out due to modern life, economy, aging of customer base, etc. I know muzzleloading is a small part of the overall sport shooting industry, and hope Dixie prospers well into the future. Dixon's in PA as well! The cost of things today is really concerning; e.g. Pedersoli and other products. :confused:
Agree, nothing on this earth last forever. But I wish them the best of luck.

It took 45 minutes to get a money order at the post office yesterday. There are 4 checkouts and they used to always run two or three, however lately there is only one person working the counter. I know the fellow quite well, set with him at a gun auction. He says nobody is applying so in turn they cannot be hiring. Such a shame, I would loved to had a postal job when I was younger.

I always went there on Saturdays. We’d get up early and hit the road, get there about 10am, shop for a couple of hours, and drive back home.

We're about 3 1/2 hours away. Like you we've done the Saturday trip a time or two. Gonna miss the Saturday's, I'll have to take off work to make the trip during the week.

One a side note; we went to the NRA convention in Indianapolis earlier this spring and on the second day by about noon Dixie had already sold out of their catalogs at $5 each. In fact I got the last two they were selling, one for me and one for a friend. Selling out of catalogs is a good sign to me that it's like wiscoaster said " a staffing issue".

When I was younger, you couldn't get into the Post Office! It was a lifetime job with a pension; now I see them begging for applicants. A couple old timers who worked at my local office, told me that new hires now don't have the work ethic of the past. I'm kind of a postal history geek and appreciate the value to the new Country that the PO was back in history.

Thank goodness our small town post office still does a good job. We’re on a rural route and one of my regular carriers is an older guy that shoots muzzleloaders too. We get into lengthy discussions, too bad for the folks down line.

Back