• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie gun works celebrity catalog covers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam squanch

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Did anyone out there meet any of the celebrities featured on the covers of the Dixie gun works catalogs over the years?

I met Turner Kirkland, his brother, and their wives in the summer of 1965 though l had no idea who he was until years later. It was the centennial of the end of the War of Northern Agression and the farm we lived on was part of the battleground of The Battle of Cloyd’s Mountain and they were visiting sites and lookin’ for souvenirs. They’d dig up chunks of rust and ooh & aah over it but to my teenage eyes it just looked like junk. But from that point on every time it rained me & my brother scouted the road for bullets. We had two or three Jumbo peanut butter jars full and then some cousins raided us and have very few of them left.

There were many gen-you-wine celebs featured on those covers over the years: Johnny Cash, Bill Golden, Slim Pickens, Bruce Boxleitner, Chuck Connors, and the list goes on. :thumb:

My clearest memory of the DGW catalog was when Turner and company sold the latest edition at Friendship. For several years I paid the pre-publishing price. When the catalog arrived months later it had a warning on the front that it was already outdated. I did business with Dixie in my early years when they were the only show in town but quickly switched to more likable vendors.

I remember seeing one with Roy Clark, not on the cover, but on an inside page.

Back