• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixi Gun Works Disappoints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys would be better off making your purchases off one of the gun auction sites.
At least on there you can contact the person who's selling and ask them a question.
Why would anyone make a purchase from Dixie sight unseen. When you could go to Taylor's and purchase a brand new guaranteed item.

Taylor's even has dealers listed throughout the United States that you can contact and purchase from them.

I still have a catalog from Dixie Gun Works I ordered well over 20 years ago. That thing is as thick as a major city phone book (used to be). At one time they carried tons of items. Just about anything anyone could ever need for muzzleloaders.

Sad to see them slip away like they have.

Since the old man (Turner Kirkland) died Dixie Gun Works has been going downhill. I get less and less from them. I usually opt for The Log Cabin Shop or Track of the Wolf first these days.

I remember them in the 80's and 90's, nary a problem with DGW in those days, and they weren't shy about shipping overseas especially ML Rifles !
Cant say that about many American Builders or Retailers nowadays.

I still have a catalog from Dixie Gun Works I ordered well over 20 years ago. That thing is as thick as a major city phone book (used to be). At one time they carried tons of items. Just about anything anyone could ever need for muzzleloaders.

Sad to see them slip away like they have.

I still have my old DGW Catalogues, they were an Encyclopedia in their own right.

That’s Flat Out Unacceptable . I have been wanting to buy a Winchester 73 octagon to round very hard to find but have been very weary because of things like this, believe me your not the first and they better get there Sh*#$T together or there not going to have out of business.
It's been that way for years. For decades, I heard people refer to the as "Dixie Junk Works". I think I stopped buying from them about 1982 or so. They used to carry stuff that was hard to find or one-off but those items were sold off a long time ago. The only thing that's kept them in business is people that don't know any better.

Since the old man (Turner Kirkland) died Dixie Gun Works has been going downhill. I get less and less from them. I usually opt for The Log Cabin Shop or Track of the Wolf first these days.
That's what I've been thinking for some years now. I now live about a 20 minute drive from Dixie and if I'm in the neighborhood and have time, I try to stop by and see what they have. But before I moved here, I made many orders from them since the late '70s.

It was tragic when Mr. Turner Kirkland passed; I think another Kirkland involved in the business may have passed, too. (?) I always wanted to visit there in person in the past, but don't foresee getting down there from PA anytime soon; maybe the bloom is off the rose by this point! I wish them and all BP suppliers the best of luck.

Well, I hate to be negative, but I recently visited their showroom and had a neutral to negative experience. The ladies up front were sugar sweet. The CEO/owner/whatever he was in the side office, treated the wife and I like lepers. Wouldn't let me inspect one of the extensive collection of originals on the rack behind the counter. Real sourpuss. I had traveled out of my way on a vacation to get there and was disappointed. The place looked old, dated, and dusty. The prices are higher than their competitors. The car museum next door was ehh ok I guess. Just my 2c.
A recipe for failing a business. Unfortunately, by the time they get a clue it will be too late. They should consider selling it to someone who can run it better. Crabby management usually are people with no business training or inherited the business and don't know the first thing about running it.

You guys would be better off making your purchases off one of the gun auction sites.
At least on there you can contact the person who's selling and ask them a question.
Why would anyone make a purchase from Dixie sight unseen. When you could go to Taylor's and purchase a brand new guaranteed item.

Taylor's even has dealers listed throughout the United States that you can contact and purchase from them.
These are new items.

When I was 13 years old (1971) my father had Ralph L. Hooker make a copy of his Daniel Boone rifle for me... Afterward.. he drove me halfway across Tennessee to visit Dixie Gun Works to buy a bullet mold and other supplies... It was a wonderland for me... I really loved the antique car museum... (Years later I would own several Model T Fords and early Dodge Brothers cars) I clearly remember talking to Turner Kirkland... Wow.. all those original longrifles..! I wore out several Dixie catalogs in my youth like another generation would have a Sears & Roebuck 'wish book'...

So many great institutions of my youth have.. or are fading away.. so sad...

It was tragic when Mr. Turner Kirkland passed; I think another Kirkland involved in the business may have passed, too. (?) I always wanted to visit there in person in the past, but don't foresee getting down there from PA anytime soon; maybe the bloom is off the rose by this point! I wish them and all BP suppliers the best of luck.
You are correct. After Turner died his 3 stepsons took over the company. One of them passed away not too long ago. I do hope this company can revitalize itself. I have had many good experiences with them in the past. In the early 1990's I did manage to visit the shop in person.

Dixie isn’t really a huge company, even in its heyday if I’m not mistaken they were basically a Family ran business..with only a handful of employees.

Some of the Ladies that work there have been there since the time when the Company was at its prime..

I live a couple of hours away and still like too visit , just too check things out occasionally..

You’re still allowed too pick out your flints at the counter there and as mentioned the Ladies are always a pleasure to talk too..

I haven’t mail ordered anything from them in awhile, but the last time I did it was still shipped in a timely manner..

As too the rust on the sight, Dixie’s building may have some roofing issues..
The last time there, I did notice water in the floor of the car museum .
It adjoins the showroom & storage / packing area behind the counters where the Ladies work..

I would call them, if you haven’t and explain the conditions of the items you received and ask for a rust free replacement or a refund if one wasn’t available..

Or clean the rust off and use the one they sent..

A lot of the older shops don’t have climate controlled storage areas, but those are the places you can still find those hard too get items and parts for various older type muzzleloaders…

I will continue too support them, I just always verify that the item is in stock prior too placing an order, or make a day trip drive up there..👍

Back