• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dishwasher cleaning??? and volume V weight newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kluson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi There
I am a newbie and absolutely fascinated by the Black powder cap and ball pistols.I am a little concerned about the cleaning required. I hear that people put their pistols into the dishwasher? Does anyone do this? Do you use regular cleaning tablets how about the salt?
Also I can see the merit in stripping the gun down each time, instead of the dishwasher but is this an easy job, I have never stripped down a pistol. Also should you really use a screwdriver or should it be turnscrews?
I am also somewhat mystified by the powder measures , What are the differences by volume or by weight. How do you guys measure powder. Do you use a powder measure. Is that by weight or by volume.
Many thanks in advance and please forgive all the newbie questions

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a dishwasher once. Worked fine. Until the wife got home. Won't do that again.

mykeal said:
I used a dishwasher once. Worked fine. Until the wife got home. Won't do that again.

Yeah, before I tried that I think I would file off the front sight. That way it would not hurt so much.

kluson: Welcome to the Forum. :)

As for cleaning your revolver, most folks I know remove the cylinder, and then the nipples. In the case of a Colt, that involves removing the barrel wedge and then the barrel.

They then clean the bore, the chambers, the nipples, the hammer face and the outside of the frame.
Following this, they oil all of the surfaces and reassemble their guns.

About once a year or so they completely disassemble the gun and clean off all of the parts.

While there is some fouling that gets down into the inner workings of the pistols when they are shot, for the most part this doesn't cause any harm.
Of course, if the entire gun gets wet by falling into the creek or the dishwasher then it needs to be totally disassembled to dry it out and re-oil it.

Don't use the bathtub either. Leaves a ring that takes a lot of work to get rid of. Even then, the evidence is noticed.

What is it with these wives that object to a little ring in the bathtub or bathroom sink?

I'm sure we guys wouldn't object to such a thing if our wives washed their blackpowder guns in the tub or sink and left a ring ! :rotf:

I once put all the pistol parts in a mesh bag and suspended it in the toilet to soak while I got things set up for cleaning. That was also a mistake I heard about. Considering what a toilet is for, I can't imagine being that up tight about a little grease/carbon ring. :rotf: :rotf:

just don't let the clean all be all.

Some of the stuff needs a wipe. Water alone is not enough.

but that is just my opinion.

I've used the dishwasher a few times. I don't see the benefit actually. It just makes the kitchen smell like egg farts. It's not hard to clean black powder residue with soapy water. I don't totally strip the gun for every cleaning, but it's not hard to do anyway.

I've even stopped by the coin op car wash on the way home from the range and pressure blasted the guns (with grips removed) as a fast way to clean them. Works good! I do the same thing to remove cosmoline from milsurps.

Get yourself some real taper ground gunsmithing screwdrivers. You'll thank yourself for it down the road when your screw heads aren't all chewed up like a regular screwdriver does to them. The little Chapman set is great, and Wheeler Engineering makes a larger, more comprehensive set, but it's pretty pricey.

Powder is measured by volume. You can find inexpensive adjustable measures just about anywhere that sells muzzleloading supplies, or make your own.

Plink said:
I've used the dishwasher a few times. I don't see the benefit actually. It just makes the kitchen smell like egg farts.
You're supposed to use lemon scented dish soap--it leaves your kitchen smelling like a bright sunny summer day! And you won't believe how sparkling clean and fresh your revolver smells, and all the guys at the range will want to know how you do it! :rotf:

Russ T Frizzen said:
You're supposed to use lemon scented dish soap--it leaves your kitchen smelling like a bright sunny summer day! And you won't believe how sparkling clean and fresh your revolver smells, and all the guys at the range will want to know how you do it! :rotf:
Yep. We get together often and discuss whether the lemon scent or pine scent is better. Personally, I like the wildflower scent but you can't always get it. :rotf: :rotf: :bow: :youcrazy:

Have tried the bathtub once but not the dish washer. Found the easiest method is one of those plastic tubs you get "free" when you're in the hospital. Holds enough water to soak everything. Personally prefer the Colt style revolver so have never found it difficult to completely disassemble the gun and drop it in the water.

On a related topic, once tried to make it look "old" with Naval Jelly. Took off the bluing and left it wiht a soft, grey finish...took off the case coloring too!! :shocked2: Didn't expect that! Live and learn!! :redface:

A gun with a naturally aged finish will be missing most of its case colors as well as its bluing.If the bluing is gone but the case colors are still there it will look a bit odd.

My set of gunsmithing screwdrivers did not work with my Italian Colt clone. There were two screws that would not fit any of the screwdrivers. So I bought two screwdrivers at Sears or somewhere and filed them until they fit perfectly. I keep them with the gun.

Back