• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what size ball to use (exactly)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy2175m4

32 Cal
Reaction score
Black powder (and casting) newbie here (old time centerfire reloader though) I just removed the cylinder from my New 1860 Uberti Army pistol and checked all 6 chambers with a caliper,

0.450" x 6

what size ball should I use to get a good swage on the cylinders ? I see many ball molds at .450 and I see Hornady selling ready made balls at .457

what is the best diameter to use ? I'd like to get a ball mold slightly over .45 and make my own, but dont see any

what do you recommend ?

I use nothing but .454 balls in all of my 44 caliber Uberti's and Pietta's. Tried .457's once but they seat too hard. Get a good shave of lead off of .454's. Back in the day (early 70's-mid 80's) .451's were the norm but get a better seal and lead shave with .454's. Some say they get some ball creep with .451's in modern made today cappers.

I tend to think that a Lee .451 with a bit of hot hand-held mold tolerance, (a mil or two) that might be just the right size....

And a store bought .454 will give a good swage too, so if there is a .451 mold available that will work. thanks for the input.

Since I like casting my own bullets , I will try the 0.451 Lee first and see how it goes (look out Pale Rider)

I'd buy a Lee .452 45acp mold. Lose the balls and ram home some bullets.

A gentle chicken plucker honing of the cylinders will be required to get the correct fit.

But it's worth it. You can size them to .451 too. More than one way to skin a cat.

PS: The 160 grain will allow for more powder.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3154.JPG
    IMG_3154.JPG
    410.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

what do you recommend ?
I've been using 0.454 balls in my Uberti since I can buy those locally, buy they don't shave quite a full circumference lead ring when rammed. I'd like to try 0.457 balls, but probably will have to order them online, and I don't plan to do that until my current supply runs out. Which, incidentally, have been shooting just fine, never mind the shaved ring situation. The Uberti pistols manual recommends 0.454 or 0.457 balls:

Screen Shot.png

I'd buy a Lee .452 45acp mold. Lose the balls and ram home some bullets.

A gentle chicken plucker honing of the cylinders will be required to get the correct fit.

But it's worth it. You can size them to .451 too. More than one way to skin a cat.

PS: The 160 grain will allow for more powder.
How do they shoot for you? I have hundreds of the 452 200rf cast and powder coated and ready to go. I’d have to resize at .451, easy enough. What is chicken plucker honing?

How do they shoot for you? I have hundreds of the 452 200rf cast and powder coated and ready to go. I’d have to resize at .451, easy enough. What is chicken plucker honing?
Crude but effective.

Wrap enough sandpaper around the dowel until it's snug in the cylinder then turn on the drill.

It'll pull off a few thou quickly. This is 220 paper. The gray color is metal.

I did it to my Colt Dragoon, but it's the same method for any cylinder.

.452 dia. - 252 grains - 40 grains of 3F T7 - 4 pounds 5 ounces loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    573 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3158.JPG
    IMG_3158.JPG
    615.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3161.JPG
    IMG_3161.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    682.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3163.JPG
    IMG_3163.JPG
    663 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3165.JPG
    IMG_3165.JPG
    800.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't read manuals.

Why?

Did I create a hand grenade that has yet to blow up?
Sorry, but that comparison is a total non-sequitor.

I, too, give manuals short shrift, and more than once they've led me astray, but at least they're a starting point.

My Uberti came with a manual, but the manual covers all their guns in about five different languages, so its information is pretty non-specific.
I don't think it's a good idea for everybody to totally write off all manuals as worthless; they just have to be taken into context what they already know, and then to seek out other sources of information for what the manual lacks.

Of course, if you already know everything, then maybe the manual is worthless.

I've been using 0.454 balls in my Uberti since I can buy those locally, buy they don't shave quite a full circumference lead ring when rammed. I'd like to try 0.457 balls, but probably will have to order them online, and I don't plan to do that until my current supply runs out. Which, incidentally, have been shooting just fine, never mind the shaved ring situation. The Uberti pistols manual recommends 0.454 or 0.457 balls:

View attachment 246529
Looks to me like you have 452 barrels on the Uberti which is why they recommend 454 conical, that way they slip into the chambers with no sizing. Pot luck with the balls but I would use 457 to get a decent ring cutoff which will better help the accuracy. Lee moulds use a 1:20 tin:lead mix, pure lead will drop a smaller diameter.

Last edited:
Back