• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discussions about building, repairing, and modifying muzzleloadin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this an appropriate place to put this as this is about those topics and more, if not I am sure that it will be moved to the appropriate place.

It is about the generosity of and good nature of folks on this site. However one in particular is the subject of my praise in this case.

You know him on the site as longrifle78 I have gotten the privilege to know him as Joe but in case he doesn't want it out there I won't reveal his last name!

Anyway on to the subject at hand. I asked some questions on a recent thread:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.../1166620/hl/50cal.cliff/fromsearch/1/#1166620

Due to the fact I am on a fixed income and my wife is very ill also; we have to watch each and every penny we spend. So quite often my projects have to be set aside for lack of funds.

Joe, saw my post and PT me and said he had several books and DVD's on that list, that folks had offered up as must have reading.
I asked him how much he wanted for them and told him I might be only able to purchase one at this time as I had to watch my funds.

Further conversation revealed he had more than one copy of Recreating The American Longrifle and he related too me, that if I was interested he would send me a copy no charge. Was I interested? He had to be joking, yes I was interested.

The copy of the book, Recreating The American Longrifle arrived in Saturdays mail. The only thing he asked was that I post photo's when I got them done.

That is no problem I am probably going to wait till this winter as things are pretty hectic in my life at this time and I don't handle the heat as well as I used too. But not only will I post photo's of the finished product but I am going to take photo's as I go along and plan to post them also.

So I must say thanks to Joe and it is absolutely great to see there are still good folks in this old world that to them an unselfishness act is just and everyday occurrence!

To longrifle78 or Joe as I like to call him. Thanks from the bottom of my heart! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

My first project is going to be rebuilding that Traditions, St. Louis Hawken that I mentioned the stock getting broke on. Hopefully I can build something out of it that will be what Traditions just wishes they could have built! And it will give me a chance to build a rifle from parts I already have to keep the cost low! I hope the experience will then help me to transition into my next build!

My next will be a rifle for my son. Something I can leave behind for him to remember me by. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on where you live, its easy to get a little disappointed about how some folks treat each other. This is just a reminder that there are good folks out there. Good for both of you, and good for this forum. :)

The spirit of this forum and folks like Joe, just continues to renew my faith in my fellow man! There seems to be an unwritten special comradery to folks interested in muzzle loading!

Now I will say folks can seem to get into some spirited discussion at times but, when it comes down to its all about this, we all enjoy everything there is about BP!

Pretty near every time I go to the range, I have someone come up and ask about the ole 50cal. I shoot. If I can get them interested enough by letting them shoot it, I always refer them to this site!

:hmm: Makes you wonder if I have made any converts!

Guys I am sure even with the book and maybe a few more there will be questions I will need to ask when I do start my build! Hey, but I know I can always come here to get the answers!

Also a thanks to the mods for letting this thread stay here because it really is about Discussions about building, repairing, and modifying muzzleloading along with a thanks to a some good folks! :thumbsup:

Good story to read while having my morning cup of coffee. There are still a lot of good people around. :thumbsup:

Back