• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DISASSEMBLY & CLEANING A DIXIE REMINGTON NEW MODEL ARMY REVOLVER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased the subject revolver and will start firing it regularly soon. However, prior to doing so, I need to know how to properly disassemble it to what extent for proper cleaning. I know how to remove the cylinders and then the nipples, but how much further should I disassemble it for thorough cleaning after firing. I am a newby so details are needed. I don't want to shoot it until I am sure I can properly clean & maintain it. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated

The information below was posted on the following site by Old Fuff:[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=223885[/url]

As to how often you should completely disassemble for cleaning: I only do a complete action disassembly about every 5 to 7 sessions. Your mileage may vary.

Reproductions of the Remington New Model Army revolver are very popular with today's cap & Ball shooters. The following are complete instructions on how to disassemble one of these guns.

First of all, get a set of screwdrivers and grind the tips to fit the various screws. A thin-bladed tip will soon ruin the screw, and may break besides.

1. Draw the hammer back to half-cock. Then lower the loading lever handle and pull the cylinder pin forward. Remove the cylinder, while being careful not to drop it.

2. Start by removing the grips. They are often tightly fitted. If so remove the grip screw and thread it back into the right stock. Then wiggle the screw while lifting it so as to lift the stock up and off. ALTERNATIVE: After screwing the screw back into the right stock take a long punch and reach through the left stock and rest the front of the punch on the screw in the right one. Then lightly tap on the punch to force the right stock off of the frame. Then push off the left stock.

3. Remove the screw at the front of the trigger guard and pivot the guard
down and off.

4. Remove the screw holding the cylinder stop and trigger spring (seen from the bottom of the frame after you remove the trigger guard).

5. Remove the screw holding the trigger and cylinder stop and then wiggle these parts out.

6. Back off the mainspring tension screw (located at the bottom/front of handle.

7. Gently tap the mainspring out of its seat at the bottom of the handle.

8. Remove the hammer screw.

9. Push the hammer slightly downward and remove the hand pivot screw.

10. Remove the hand and then the hammer.

11. Remove the loading lever screw, and then pull the loading lever assembly forward and off.

12. Reassemble in reverse order. You may have to use a pair of smooth-jawed pliers to get the mainspring started back into place in its seat in the frame. Then tap it into place. As a rule it is not necessary to remove the mainspring and hammer for ordinary cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I may add a little suggestion to mykeals instructions, after you have removed the cylinder, lower the hammer to the fired position for all of the remaining steps.

When reassembling the gun remember to place the hammer back at half cock before you try to install the cylinder. It also helps to rotate the cylinder clockwise slightly to help it engage the hand as it slides into place. :)

Thanks much for the info and reference to other site...the instructions & copies of disassembly photos will make dissasembly and cleaning very easy now. Any particulars on your personal cleaning method? Thanks again . . .Bob

zonie - a small point: not my instructions. I stole them from another site. They're much better than anything I might produce on my own.

I usually just tie the mainspring down in the deflected position with the hammer at full cock, using a length of stout twine. It can then be removed from the grip frame separately. To reinstall I just put the end in the notch and tie it back down; takes a third hand or a set of locking pliers to deflect it enough to tie down, however.

The hand screw must be removed to remove the hammer, and the hammer must be partially inserted in order to reinstall the hand.

I've posted this before. I own an 1860 Army Colt replica. To clean I take the wooden handles off, take the barrel and cylinder off. Run a patch with solvent into each chamber and down the barrel. Scrub the nipples and hammer area with a toothbrush with solvent. Then put everything but the handles in the dishwasher, cylinder and barrel verticle to let the water run through. run a regular washing cycle. when the piece is still hot, spray her down with remoil and reassemble. works great for me. graybeard

Back