• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These barrels are best designed for patched round balls. You may want to try a over powder wad to help as a gas seal. That is essentially what is being created by your dirty barrel.

I played with 777 when it first came out, then gave it away after using about 1/4 of the pound. I believe a good quality black powder is superior to any fake modern powder that has something thrown into the mix to make it smoke. They suck.

My experience is that you can have a rifle that's sighted in with a warm fouled barrel, or a cold clean barrel...but not both. I'm a hunter first, and a shooter second, so this is what I do: I clean my barrel between shots when sighting in. Not a full and total cleaning, but I wipe out the barrel quite well...not just one or two wipes. It's kind of a long process, but I do it on a nice day, enjoy the outdoors, just take my time, shoot and clean the barrel, and watch the world go by.

But I know that's "too much" work for many guys. However, it works, I like hunting with a clean rifle, and I believe a clean rifle (or smoothbore) is more reliable than a fouled rifle. ESPECIALLY a cap-gun. Anyhow, my first shot goes where it's supposed to, if I do my part.

The other thing is, in my experience, and I don't fully understand this, is that subsequent shots (one or two) are not as far from the clean barrel shot, as the first shot from a clean barrel is from the POI when the barrel is sighted in with a fouled barrel. (or visa-versa) ??? Did that make sense?

Again, we're not cleaning the whole gun with soap and water and rubber duckies, just running a half dozen or so patches wetted down with a good water-based cleaning solvent. Then a few more to get the barrel good and dry. That will replicate a clean barrel. I like "Blue Thunder", but I'm sure there's a million others, whatever your preference is. I suppose even a small container of soapy water to dip the patches in would be fine, especially if it had a rubber ducky in it. You just don't want to get breech or powder chamber wet.

Anyhow, just as idea. Works for me. Not gonna work for the target shooter, will work for the hunter. !!!

Latest posts

Back