• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dirty Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dashriprock

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have new CVA St.Louis Hawkens. Sighted in at 50yrds. 1"groups, It has about 50 rounds thru it. After i clean it and take it out to shoot it the next time, it takes 3 to 4 shots before it comes back to zero. Isit that the barrel not broken in yet? Im using 80grs.of 777 with 275gr.maxi hunter. Its 1:48 twist. Pa.inline starts this sat. Do I leave the gun drity?

dashriprock said:
Im sorry, Maybe this post belongs in the gun builders bench.
No! I'd say you're fine here or maybe "general muzzleloading"

To answer your other question....Sounds to me like maybe your projectiles are undersized.

Just a guess.... :idunno:

No they are made by TC/.50cal. 275grs. I also shot 360gr.TC maxi. and the same thing happens. clean its all over till it get drity.

Ok! I'm out of ideas :idunno: ....unless it's the 777 somehow....Just remember, When hunting, the first shot counts.

Perhaps your gun isn't settling in after you take it apart to clean it... :hmm:

The problem is not uncommon.

This is why some shooters are grateful for the "sighting in shot(s) that is (are) allowed in many target shooting contests.

I've long mused about this, "I just cleaned it and the first shot is always a wild one" happening.
Its happened to me many times.

The way I figure it, it most commonly happens on rifles when the barrel has been removed for cleaning.
I think when this is done and the barrel is replaced it isn't fully seated.
The first shot (or two) repositions the barrel to the same place it was when it was shooting accurately and the sights were set.
Then, the old accuracy returns.

It's just a theory but for now it will have to do until someone comes up with something better. :)

Haven't shot the Bobcat enough to tell, yet, but this happens with all my open top colts...first shot is where? Then they settle down.

Thanks, I'll just leave it drity till after the season. I dont want a wild shot for my first shot. I want a nice clean kill.

You need to clean after shooting your BP rifle or it will be a rusted mess. Just plug the nipple or flash hole, and pour warm (not hot) water in the barrel. Let it sit a short while and then empty it out. Clean with patches until they come out white. Run some G96 or Barracade down the barrel to protect it from rust and check it every few days. You don't need to remove the barrel from the stock when cleaning.

Your first shot in a clean barrel will be off some but it shouldn't matter that much for hunting purpose. Take note of where the first shot goes and you can adjust for that shot.

NOOOOOO! don't do that....you want to preserve the gun, not destroy it. Use hot water and patches without disassembling to keep the barrel bedded correctly. Just plug the nipple and clean it with water and soap.

dashriprock said:
Thanks, I'll just leave it drity till after the season. I dont want a wild shot for my first shot. I want a nice clean kill.
When you miss that shot because your gun didn't go off or have to buy a new gun next fall or complain that it doesn't shoot 1" groups anymore....I'M GOING TO SAY "I TOLD YOU SO"

I would never leave a BP firearm drity for that long (next season)i didnt mean it to come out that way. What i'm going to do was shoot it today till it came to zero. Then run a dry patch and leave it at that for the next day. Leaveing the barrel carboned up. Thanks for all replys. Maybe next post will be of a pic.of a clean kill. season opens 10/15 Thanks!

Just running a dry patch down the dirty barrel will do nothing. The fouling of the powder will start rusting and eating your barrel. You need to clean it completely. Any residue from burnt powder will pit and rust your barrel into a tomato stake. You cannot leave any BP residue in the barrel unless you want to damage it. :slap: :nono: :doh:

While you can do that sort of thing with smokeless powders, you CANNOT do that with black powder or substitutes.

The substitute powders are notorious for corrosion and severe pitting. Try developing a load with a properly fitting patched round ball and see if the problem doesn't go away.

Latest posts

Back