• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Descendant of Gumpf family gunsmiths of Lancaster, PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a direct descendant of Johann Dietrich Gumpf (5x GG), Christopher Gumpf (4xGG), and Henry (Heinrich) Gumpf (3xGG), who were known as gunsmiths in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. I would love to know more about their rifles and their history, and where I can see their rifles in museums or other collections. I'm hoping that members of this group can help me with my search.

I'm no expert in early rifles, but I'm willing to learn whatever I can. If anyone has information or photos they can share with me I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Also the book “the Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle” by Henry Kauffman has some info. With pictures as well.

I am a direct descendant of Johann Dietrich Gumpf (5x GG), Christopher Gumpf (4xGG), and Henry (Heinrich) Gumpf (3xGG), who were known as gunsmiths in the Lancaster County area of Pennsylvania. I would love to know more about their rifles and their history, and where I can see their rifles in museums or other collections. I'm hoping that members of this group can help me with my search.

I'm no expert in early rifles, but I'm willing to learn whatever I can. If anyone has information or photos they can share with me I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

S. E. Dyke documented a detail study of the Gumpf family of gunsmiths in the Kentucky Rifle Association Bulletin dated Winter 1984. James Gordon summarized that information in his book Great Gunmakers for the Early West.

James Gordon - Great Gunmakers for the Early West said:
Dietrick Gumpf first came to Lancaster from Germany around 1750 and worked as a stone mason. His two sons Johan Christopher and George Michael, however, both became noted gunmakers and together raised 7 sons as gunmakers.

Tax records reveal:
  • Johan Christopher Gumpf 1787 - 1840
  • George Michael Gumpf 1790 - 1840
  • Jacob Gumpf (1) 1813 - 1840
  • Jacob Gumpf (2) 1813 - 1816
  • Heinrich (Henry) Gumpf 1816 - 1840
  • Matheus Gumpf 1829 - 1857
  • Michael Gumpf 1829 - 1843
  • Andrew Gumpf 1829 - 1848
  • Christolph Gumpf 1843 - 1875
During these dates, the Lancaster records indicate that each of these nine men were taxed as gunsmiths. There is some confusion as to the spelling of the name. We find Gumpf most often but also Gump, Gumph, Gumf and even Kumpf.

Despite the nine Gumpfs in total being taxed as gunmakers for 251 years, few of their guns are actually known to collectors and students. The author knows only of rifles marked "C. Gumpf", "G. Gumpf", "J. Gumpf", "A. Gumpf", and "H&C Gumpf".

Historically, there is evidence that Christopher Gumpf worked with Gonter, Dickert, and Graeff to make rifles during the Revolution. Later, Christopher Gumpf was a partner in a group of Lancaster gunmakers called "Dickert, DeHuff & Co.", including Dickert, DeHuff, Miller, Bender, Gumpf, and Gonter. This group contracted with Tench Coxe, Purveyor of Public Supplies for the new U.S. government, to make rifles for the Indian trade (via the factory system). During the period 1804 through 1807 a total of several hundred rifles were made. See Moller's American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol.II page 373 for details.

Moller acknowledges that none of these Indian trade rifles have been positively identified and the specifications vary. It is known that all were brass trimmed, and that some were simply "common", but some had silver stars and thumb pieces and some had "U.S." locks.

Note that these Dickert, DeHuff & Co. contract Indian rifles were not marked with the name of the partnership, but rather by the individual partners.

American Fur Co. records reveal several contracts with the Gumpfs for "Lancaster Style Rifles" between 1828 and 1830. These include 100 rifles from Jacob Gumpf and 24-30 rifles from Christopher Gumpf at $11 each. Other Lancaster gumakers for the AFC during this period included Gibbs, Drepperd, Fordney, and Gill. The specs for these rifles were customarily barrels 42-44 inches, about .50 caliber, maple stocks with checkered wrists and silver decoration on the top of the wrist and on the cheekpeice.

Most of the earlier guns marked "C. Gumpf" and "J. Gumpf" appear to have the same basic Lancaster characteristics typical of the other fine Lancaster makers such as Dickert or Fordney. The rifles by "A. Gumpf" that we have seen are primarily later with at least a few being back action percussion types of the 1830-1840 period.

Links to pictures of "C. Gumpf" marked rifles:

http://aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_cgum.html

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/3339-369/

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/2099/c-gumpf-signed-flintlock-kentucky-rifle

Gumpf rifle:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=24869.0

I have a rifle I bought about 50 years ago that is marked J Gump (no f). 34 inch barrel. Has been shortened and made a half stock. Front sight is made of bone. It’s had double set triggers added to it and they are marked J P Lower. He was a well known gunsmith in Denver Colorado and I assume did work on the rifle. It .32 caliber and shoots very well.

Back