• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

" Defarbed "

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin sandwich

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just wondering, i see alot of this in the classifides . Google describes it as altering the guns factory design to be more original .in modern times does it "devalue " the gun ? If all markings are removed how do you know your getting whats being advertised instead of some subpar gun ? Just thinking out loud .

I could be wrong, but when I see it mentioned here I took it to mean removing unnecessary stampings. Like black powder only warnings or made in Italy.
But it could certainly mean removing the maker's stamp and caliber, too.

I saw a pair of Ultra High Tower pistols at a flea market that had been defarbed, the guy wanted $200 for the pair, they were in pretty good shape. He told me they Tryon pistols from Spain, I told him they weren't but he didn't believe me. I went home and looked them up just to be sure I was right. Whoever did the defarbing had left a hint of the stamp "Dixie Gun Works" on one of the barrels.

I think it depends on who is doing the defarbing and on what. Defarbe a TC and everyone will still know what it is, defarbe a tower pistol and the origin of the maker gets murky for most folk and drops the value.

The only thing I defarbed was a Green MT barrel that I struggled with the plug fit in my early builder days, the logo ended up on the top oblique flat when I had a perfect breech face fit. I had worked on it for hours and was tired of it, I didn't want to go a couple more flats so I punched out the lettering and drawfiled it off.

It is a personal thing, some one might think their TC Hawken is a real Hawken if they take the logo off, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I think it devalues a factory gun, for the rank and file who don't know one maker from another like we do, they would probably want to know exactly what they are buying.

I have a couple and I had Lodgewood defarb my pedersoli Bess. I had already removed the markings on the barrel.

Yes, Mary-Sue, I took a photo of the serial to add under the barrel someday. In ’Murica, we don’t have to follow stupid euro or Canadia laws.

Why did I do this? I wanted it shaped better and I had the right stamps put on it and lastly, I wanted the lock to say “Dublin Castle”, vs. the shooting and incorrect Grice 1762. I’m happy with it. If someone in the future is dumb enough not to do their research and thinks it’s real, that’s on them. And, I will say, I picked it up at the Maryland Antique arms show and a lot of Billy’s thought it was real. Kept trying to buy it. lol.

Doesn't hurt the value one bit on a production gun.

I'd see it hurting the value of a true custom build if someone filed off the gun makers name.

When I defarb my cvas, I stamp the caliber on the side flat and then the twist on the underside of the barrel flat.

No need for all that bs warning, especially what investarm puts on their barrels! Literally an entire manual lol.

Last edited:
Lipstick on a pig, and pretty much an unused practice in this area.
The worst case of defarb I've seen, was a guy who stripped all the finish from a vintage Gibson guitar, rendering something worth thousands, to something he probably couldn't get a hundred bucks for at a pawn shop.

Lipstick on a pig, and pretty much an unused practice in this area.
The worst case of defarb I've seen, was a guy who stripped all the finish from a vintage Gibson guitar, rendering something worth thousands, to something he probably couldn't get a hundred bucks for at a pawn shop.
Defarb is not for everybody. Especially, the stupid.

I believe "Defarb" is a play on "Fubar", cleaned up it's "Fouled up beyond all recognition" so it's removing the offending factory lettering. YMMV
No. Farb is a reenacting term for something inaccurate or incorrect. Comes from “Far be it from me to criticize your impression, but…” in this case, many of us don’t want to see the modern markings. It ruins your time trip. Like setting somebody wearing modern glasses or a wrist watch.

Serious 're-enactors' want a musket that looks authentic to the originals. There used to be a huge 'cottage industry' de-farb market, but once Pedersoli came out with a 'factory de-farb' Enfield musket a lot of that went away. There are still a couple that do it, Zimmerman in Harper's Ferry, and Lodgewood, which got many orders once they were featured in American Rifleman. De-farbing is for people that know what they're looking at and for. MtnMan's description of the guy who ruined a Gibson is terrifying! One must not re-finish original guns! Educate yourself on any subject you're interested in!
No. Farb is a reenacting term for something inaccurate or incorrect. Comes from “Far be it from me to criticize your impression, but…” in this case, many of us don’t want to see the modern markings. It ruins your time trip. Like setting somebody wearing modern glasses or a wrist watch.
You're right, Katze!

Latest posts

Back