• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deerskin Leggings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onojutta

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot a small doe this past weekend (see post in Hunting forum for picture). I hunt for meat but I hate to kill an animal unless I intend to use as much of it as I can. I plan to get the hyde tanned and a gunrack made with its hooves. Last year I had a hyde tanned with the fur, and although it looks nice over the back of a wood rocking chair, it's not very useful.

I'd really like to make myself a pair of deerskin leggings to wear during traditional hunts. So I'd get the hyde tanned this time without the fur.

Is making leggings with real dearskin something that can be done by he fellow with no leather experience, or is this a job best left to those who know what they're doing? Also, would I have enough skin from one deer to make a pair of leggings?

From the size of that doe Prolly not enough for both. However we have not seen yer legs( no pic needed :rotf: ). Brain tanning at home is a pretty easy deal. Dirty, smelly and time consuming but easy. The web is loaded with instructions and video. I just used the instructions I found in a Dixie gun works catalog years ago and just went from there. I have added a few things but that reciepe works fine. Go for it. I know you would hate to waste a good hide but learning is never a waste. :thumbsup:

Check out braintan.com and pick up Matt Richards book. With the information from both sites you can do it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back