• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer taken with other cal.s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
The post on Deer taken with then .40 started me thinking about what Deer I had taken with what gun over the years and I realized I had not really kept track of but a very few, the ones with the .40 and one with a .50 Early lancaster and this was one of two bucks and a couple or so Does taken with a NSW NW gun in .62 70 gr 3f .600 ball if I remember correctly, probably in 2000 or 2001, I recall this animal as I did a Euro mount on it because it was a descent blacktail and I did not want to spend a bunch on a regular mount. I belvieve it was only about 35-40 yds away broadside feeding when I took it just behind the shoulder thur and thru, it only went a few yds and folded up

dec29077.jpg

The one on the left was taken with an Early Lancaster 44" swamped barrel from TOW parts .50 60gr 3f flinlock 75-80 yds from what my partner told me last night taken Nov 2005,year does not sound right to me but that is what he said. The others on the wall I cannot place to a gun or time
dec29074.jpg

I would agree on the money aspect, I would rather have a nice flintlock than a deer head or 2.

I have an Alaska Wolf skull I assembled and painted in somewhat of a Pacific NW manner and the wife finds it amusing to put Santas hat on it every year

A .40 is not legal in Illinois so I'll most likely never take a deer with one. A .45 is our legal minimum but I've never taken a deer with one of those either. I have taken deer with .50 cap, .54 cap and flint, and .62 flint rifles, and one with a .75 smoothbore Bess.

That European mount is a darn nice blacktail. :thumbsup:

Spikebuck said:
That bottom picture looks like you mounted Santa's hat!!! You didn't try a "flying" shot at Rudolf and accidently bring down Santa...did you??? :haha:

If he shot Santa, I hope he skinned him too. Beaverman can make a real nice possibles bag out out of the hide after he tans it.

Don't believe me? Look in the Classifieds! Beaverman a made super nice bag out of his former blacksmith. :confused: :confused: :confused:

:grin:

Back