• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
what are some reccomendations for a good deer load out of a .54 lyman trade rifle using the stuff I have on hand: Pyrodex RS, .535 RB, prelubed cotton patches in .010 and .015. What bench shooting Ive done, which is pretty limited, this rifle shoots really nice groups at 50 yards using mainly 50 grains of pyro. Would this load have enough steam to cleanly dispatch a deer? With traditional archery background I dont plan to shoot at anything over 50 yards at least for this year. Thanks for any advice. Scott

If you're gonna limit the range then pin point accuracy becomes less a problem. I'd up the load just so penetration was less a worry. Have you tried 80 to 90 grains?

newtewsmoke said:
what are some reccomendations for a good deer load out of a .54 lyman trade rifle using the stuff I have on hand: Pyrodex RS, .535 RB, prelubed cotton patches in .010 and .015. What bench shooting Ive done, which is pretty limited, this rifle shoots really nice groups at 50 yards using mainly 50 grains of pyro. Would this load have enough steam to cleanly dispatch a deer? With traditional archery background I dont plan to shoot at anything over 50 yards at least for this year. Thanks for any advice. Scott

Certianly YOUR call and YOU should be making the call but that Lyman is deadly to 100 yards....and beyond a smidge IF you are a good enough shot to hit the target w/ open sights..ANYWAY; Personally I feel that 50 grains is a tad light..I would try 70 grains and then work up in 5 grain increments to 90-ish looking for the best 25 yard grouping. THEN I would sight in dead on at 75 yards so you are a smidge high at 50 and Dangerpus at 100.
Thats just my opinion.
I actually sight My Lyman GPR in at 1" high at 25 yards which is then 3" high at 50 and bach to about 1" low at 100 yards. This is with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with a .535 ball and a .018 patch

this rifle shoots really nice groups at 50 yards using mainly 50 grains of pyro. Would this load have enough steam to cleanly dispatch a deer? With traditional archery background I dont plan to shoot at anything over 50 yards at least for this year. Thanks for any advice. Scott

Is your 50 grains by volume or weight? If by weight, it is plenty adequate for your 50 yard shots. If by volume, it will work but you might be better off in the 70 or 75 grain range.

As said, your rifle is easily a 100 yard deer rifle if you can place the shot. Developing loads at 50 yards is fine but if you plan to shoot at longer range be sure to test the accuracy at that range.

Depends on what the gun likes, I think 50 is a bit light simply because the .54 is capable of killing cleanly out to 125 yards or so...

Anywhere from 70-100grs is a plenty...I started with 120grs of FF, twenty-some years ago...Then went to 100grs of FF and the last 10 years or so have settled on 80grs of FFF...They all killed, the higher loads just left too much residue in the barrel...

btw...Before the .54, my deer rifle was a .45 caliber with 70grs of FFF and a patched ball...It killed deer too...

newtewsmoke said:

I would use 75 grains and whichever thickness of patch gives you the best groups.

90 grains of 2F Goex, Lubed felt wad, pillow ticking patch, .535 ball. I get excellent groups with this load.

HD

GoodCheer said:
If you're gonna limit the range then pin point accuracy becomes less a problem. I'd up the load just so penetration was less a worry. Have you tried 80 to 90 grains?
not more than just 1 shot here and there, not at paper either, smacked a hanging RR tie plate tho.

up your load starting at 70 gr.

54 t/c flint 90 gr fff goex

54 Lyman GPR 80 gr fff goex

both-1 Oxyoke bore button(wool wad)

.018 pillow ticking

.530 home cast roundball

Higher ball velocity kills!

Wattsy said:
newtewsmoke said:

Certianly YOUR call and YOU should be making the call but that Lyman is deadly to 100 yards....and beyond a smidge IF you are a good enough shot to hit the target w/ open sights..ANYWAY; Personally I feel that 50 grains is a tad light..I would try 70 grains and then work up in 5 grain increments to 90-ish looking for the best 25 yard grouping. THEN I would sight in dead on at 75 yards so you are a smidge high at 50 and Dangerpus at 100.
Thats just my opinion.
I actually sight My Lyman GPR in at 1" high at 25 yards which is then 3" high at 50 and bach to about 1" low at 100 yards. This is with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS with a .535 ball and a .018 patch
Id LOVE to be "Dangerpus" at 100 yds! LOL

marmotslayer said:
this rifle shoots really nice groups at 50 yards using mainly 50 grains of pyro. Would this load have enough steam to cleanly dispatch a deer? With traditional archery background I dont plan to shoot at anything over 50 yards at least for this year. Thanks for any advice. Scott

Is your 50 grains by volume or weight? If by weight, it is plenty adequate for your 50 yard shots. If by volume, it will work but you might be better off in the 70 or 75 grain range.

As said, your rifle is easily a 100 yard deer rifle if you can place the shot. Developing loads at 50 yards is fine but if you plan to shoot at longer range be sure to test the accuracy at that range.
Loaded by volume. Need to get back out to the bench and juice it up, no time during the week.

last Sun. afternoon ran out and trimmed out a tree and put up a tree stand about 15' off a well hammered deer trail, perfect bow shot range, maybe too close for my new .54 weapon. Hope the BIG buck goes higher on the hill than the well used meat (doe/yrling/fawn) trail. Hope to hunt Sat, sposed to be cold.

Good luck gettin' your sights on the biggun. :thumbsup:

I agree that 70+ grains would be better but the 50 grain charge will probably work with bowhunting type shots at bowhunting type range, maybe a bit more. I used 80 grains 3F in my .54, my .50 likes 75 grains of 2F.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but after reading the responses I have a question. A few of you are loading your .54 with FFF and your .50 with FF. My understanding was that larger calibers shot powder that was more coarse. Thanks.

That's the standard rule of thumb Rice, but you hafta try both in YOUR gun to see what it likes best. My .50 caplock GPR likes 2F better. My .54 flint GPR liked 3F better, which was convenient because I used the 3F for prime and main charge. :thumbsup:

Back in the 70s the "Gospel" was that you should use FFF for .45 and under and FF for .50 and above...

Well...Many of us have found that by switching to FFF we can use slightly less powder, get the same velocities and have less fouling to deal with...Plus with a flinter you can use FFF for both the main charge and for priming...In hunting situations the coarser FFF absorbs moisture less than FFFF...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 70 gr of 3F a 530 with a .018 or 535 with a .015 and 70 grain both shoot well I am comfortable shooting out to 50-75yards in the timber or field.

When I was using Pyrodex I had far better luck using P Pyrodex in my .54, .50 and .45. I had better ignition and it wasn't nearly as tempermental when the weather was damp. I mainly used my .54 and the load was from 65 grains to 90 grains by volume. Now all I use is FFF Goex blackpowder.

Latest posts

Back