• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Creek Kentucky Flintlock is it OK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Money is very tight for us, very tight.
My wife wants to get me somthing I really want.
I have been hankering for a Flintlock pistol for a long time. The only thing that comes close to the budget allowance is the Deer Creek Flintlock Kentucky Pistol kit.
Is it OK, I mean does it have good parts, a good lock( I can tweek it if I have to)
I kinow some folks will say save for somthing better but that is not in the cards for the forseable future, its boiled down to the Deer Creek kit or it cant be done.
Anyone have one ? how is it?
Thanks

The Deer Creek pistols are essentially CVA or Traditions pistols. Not top of the line but accurate and servicable. The biggest draw back to those guns are the locks. They are cheaply made but work ok especially in percussion. I have heard that the flinters need to have the frizzens hardened as they won't hold up otherwise. If you know how to tweek the frizzen then go for it. If not and your not commited to getting a flinter then I think you would be very happy with the percussion model.

Don

There a good gun, as said the lock needs to be care for. Get the percussion model and just disassemble the lock and polish the bearing surfaces with a stone and all is well.
:thumbsup:

I too would agree that for an inexpensive pistol you will be much happier with percussion. I have a Traditions "Pioneer Pistol" kit which cost about 150 bucks and which punches 2" groups at 25 yards. The lock is a total POS but the hammer falls hard enough to bust a cap and with percussion that is all that is needed. A POS flintlock, on the other hand, is an exercise in frustration.

I am going to give you the same advice as the others. Stay away from the flintlock version.

I own and shoot several CVA/Traditions rifles and pistols that I built from kits. All of mine are percussion and are decent guns and accurate shooters. However my brother built the flintlock version of their Kentucky rifle. He had nothing but problems with the POS lock. Tried every thing possible and could never get it to spark reliably enough to fire the gun more than about half the time. He eventualy gave up and fitted it with a replacement L&R lock from Track of the Wolf. It`s now a reliable and accurate gun, but it took spending $135 for a new lock to do it.

So if you have limited funds to spend, I`d say stay away from the flintlock. Go with the percussion version and you should be ok.

Merry Christmas

Eric

Back