• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Decked a big boar yesterday with GPH .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Dave yes sir no smell at all. now about the rank smell of a boar. under the pig close and underneath the male anatomy is a gland where the semen and urine is kept. when a boar is excited nervous hurt they release this god awful rank boar smell, i hog sprays like a skink if scared or nervous that gland is called a precruciment gland (spelling) it sole purpose when he sprays is to notify other pigs are in his territory if a hog dies a hard death he will release the scent that is where the stench comes from. any hog that smells rank i leave alone i have ate many boars bigger than this with no smell
Good info and it makes sense. That explains why the 2 hogs my son and I harvested did not stink. Both were hit in the neck behind the ears...they never had a chance to react. They were taken with a 6mm Rem and a 30.06. But I believe it is time use my GPR in 54 for the next harvest. Thanks for including your load data, I'll try that in practice sessions. TR

Been having a issue with a big boar jumping in the feeder pens set up for deer he tore 2 pens up trying to get in. I recently sighted in my Lyman great plains hunter .54 with some 535 gr No excuse bullets. I was in my climbing about 60 yards away the wind was blowing pretty good i spotted him at 65 yards coming towards the pen he stopped for a split second i squeezed the trigger the no excuse propeeled by 90 grains of pyrodex p dropped him in his tracks. This is the longest muzzleloading shot ive made to dateView attachment 56556View attachment 56556
nice shooting. now for the eating part, yum

Thanks, explains a lot about the meat we have to buy at the markets also. In the past we have purchased hams that was so rank we didn't even want to stay in the house. By this kill being instant was the boar stink avoided?
yes sir, i will go on to say this ive guided free range hog hunts and have done my own night guided hunts on private property ive also managed several high fenced ranches in the past. so ive skinned alot of hogs, plus i a on a pro staff that deals with hog urine and such. at this ranch we had pipes we layed the pigs on backs fit into the wedge where we take box cutters starting at the chest and skin down about 3 inches from the penis we would make a v and cut the skin from the v to the inside of leg down to feet.if you got anywhere near the penis and hit that gland that nasty junk would come out and ruin the pig. same nasty rank boar smell some smell on a big hog. we got a bright idea that we put on rubber gloves skinned down around the penis too a zip tie and cosed off the tube that leads into the manhood from that gland. we had a freezer out side we collected them in mind you every smell is unique to a certain boar alls humanscan smell is rank nastiness but each scent has that hogs DNA. once frozen we would go hunt tie up that frozen gland which holds several ounces of the nastiness we would hang up wind and take a for andpoke holes in it. as the heat warms the gland the frozen nastyness would drip like a dripper for deer. hogs would come in fighting mad with there hair raised up. alot of peopl are doubters until i show them

I envy you for your ability to take the large boars you do with muzzleloaders. I've shot some with muzzleloaders, but as a rule I have to use something more modern. Congratulations on this guy.....good shooting !

Thanks Howie, we just dressed a 125 lb boar that a friend shot . Nothing wrong with it . Just wondered about bigger pigs. They are becoming too numerous here in NW AL. Wardens say killem , if you don't want em leave em, they destroy too much.
Dave

Thanks Howie, we just dressed a 125 lb boar that a friend shot . Nothing wrong with it . Just wondered about bigger pigs. They are becoming too numerous here in NW AL. Wardens say killem , if you don't want em leave em, they destroy too much.
Dave
We are in the same boat here no laws on shoot and leave them, i do try to make an honest effort to at least find someone who wants them, i used to skin and quarter them for people, then they wanted them delivered and on ice i decided that was the end of all that, I know alot of people who are killing and trapping alot more than i am, im selective now. Im getting older wear and tear on my body the last 37 years of hunting them. 5 years ago i was having a hard time stalking them within bow range that is what got me back into traditional muzzleloading. before that i didnt shoot or own a muzzleloader since i was around 15 or so and that was a 50 in 1983 a mentor always talked about a .54 the power etc i was a kid so all those years i thought of a .54 now i have more .54s than any other caliber i am gaining some ground with my .58s

Latest posts

Back