• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Decision to make

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisleyjohn

Pilgrim
Reaction score
.36 revolver, I have a choice of two. 5 1/2”. Both similar condition bores good. Should I chose Pietta or Uberti, and why please?

The older the Pietta the more likely you are to find unwanted surprises like improperly fitted parts, poor quality control on maintaining dimensional tolerances and perhaps even assembly by the strongest guy on shift that day. Recent production is generally fine and dandy. Don't know where to say a cut off date is. Also, the Pietta chambers are probably going to be smaller compared to the rifling groove diameter than on the Uberti's no matter what the pieces are intended to be a reproduction of.
Having said that, a good Pietta is good and latter days production is honking well good.

The older the Pietta the more likely you are to find unwanted surprises like improperly fitted parts, poor quality control on maintaining dimensional tolerances and perhaps even assembly by the strongest guy on shift that day. Recent production is generally fine and dandy. Don't know where to say a cut off date is. Also, the Pietta chambers are probably going to be smaller compared to the rifling groove diameter than on the Uberti's no matter what the pieces are intended to be a reproduction of.
Having said that, a good Pietta is good and latter days production is honking well good.
Thank you👍

luckily the dealer, a personal friend, is meeting me on the range next Sunday. He is going to make me an ‘agent’ so that I can test fire them for him😜

I would select the Pieta if it was made after the switch to CNC production. I just can't remember the Italian proof code for that transition.

I would check the Uberti for the short arbor. The early Uberti revolvers seem to be of better quality than those made lately.

The new Pieta is the one I like. I have tuned a few new Uberti's that have disappointments on timing and alignment. New Pieta just requires disassembly, cleaning and polishing.

I just purchased a Uberti Walker 3 weeks ago and Uberti's quality is not what it use to be. I am VERY disappointed in their workmanship. The exterior is VERY nice but the internals leave something to be desired especially the hand fit in the frame slot. My hand bumps into the arbor as it is lifted into contact with the cylinder. The disassembly of the barrel from the frame was almost impossible to remove. The timing is fine and the bolt locks into the cylinder slots fine but for the price they are asking for the Walker their quality should be far better. Lucky I purchased it from Midway USA on their Black Friday price which was about $100 less than their regular price.

I would select the Pieta if it was made after the switch to CNC production. I just can't remember the Italian proof code for that transition.

I would check the Uberti for the short arbor. The early Uberti revolvers seem to be of better quality than those made lately.

I bought a Uberti this fall, 2020 production. It is perfect in every way.
100_6834.JPG

100_6835.JPG

100_6833.JPG

Did the Italians change the date codes in 2020? The standard date code list says that it should have a date code of CZ and yours shows 20.

Curious.

Regards,

Jim

Italian Date Codes.jpg

Sure would be nice is someone had done a side by side comparison test. This gets debated a lot with no real conclusion.

Since none have been coming into the country, wonder what the post virus pistols will be like?

It doesn't matter, buy the one you like and that is fitted better.
Do you own any others? buy the brand you already own that way parts and nipples will exchange.

Latest posts

Back