• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daniel Boone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen two guns attributed to Boone. One is a rifle in the museum at the Cumberland Gap National park. If my memory serves me correctly it is a big bore gun, over .50 caliber. The other gun is in the TN State Museum. It is a typical English pattern fowler. Huge gun, extremely long barrel, 10 bore, musket size rock crusher lock, dark wood appears to be walnut.
Boone was partial to large caliber smoothbores. One source I read said he was carrying a 10 ga. at the Battle of Blue Lick.
We must remember that Boone considered his guns working tools for a rough life. You couldn't have too many of them on hand and you didn't get attached to them. He had to give up several guns when captured by Indians. Frontiersmen often had to throw down their guns and run for their lives as Kenton did early in his carrier.

ghost - Been doing some reading, bunch of the Eckert books. Anyway, the way he describes the use of the guns is as you say, meaning they were getting used, abused, dropped, picked up, lost, broke, traded, stolen, you name it. Far cry from how we cherish the thangs now.

Regards, sse

Latest posts

Back