• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus Roach Belly Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought one of these from Track of the Wolf (I see Crazy Crow has the identical knife as well). When it arrived it was the rustiest knife I have ever seen - including some I have dug when metal detecting! I swear it came over from India on the deck of a ship. The knife was in a plastic bag, inside the sheath, and another bag over the sheath & knife. The bone was starting to mold. This was horrible treatment of a knife and I was GREATLY disappointed.

But I wanted to see if I might request a replacement rather than a refund so I rubbed away some rust. Then a little more. Two hours later I emerged from the cellar with it cleaned up acceptably. But, unfortunately, I neglected to take a "before" image.

This is the after:
HPIM2729.jpg

The sheath stinks. I mean, my wife came in the kitchen when I was sharpening the knife and said: "What smells like moldy potatoes?" It truly does. And not just faintly, I mean it is an overpowering, room filling stench. Not sure what vegetable was used in the leather processing but it has a powderful odor. I swapped it out for a Montana Americana sheath and the original is hanging in the garage to air out. The machine stitching appears to be natural fiber (cotton?) and there is no metal, so IMHO it's quasi-authentic.

Small steel pins (not brass as catalog states - they hold a magnet), level forged in blade taper, bone handles. Not a bad design at all and it feels good in the hand. The sharp portion of the blade is about 4-3/8" long (the catalog says 5-1/4" and that includes the forged in ricasso).

HPIM2735.jpg

HPIM2738.jpg

But now to the part of why this is a $50 knife and not a $16 knife. The Damascus is striking now that I've polished the rust off and brought back some tone with mustard and a rubbing of olive oil to hold it. The out-of-the-box edge was child safe and I set to work with my KME sharpener and a light ceramic sticking and now it shaves hair. The steel behaves like well tempered 1095, which I like as a knife steel. Note that because of the different layers the edge takes a little more work than a homogeneous knife blank.

Overall - I'm happy with it. I came within minutes of boxing it right back up and returning it, but am now glad I persisted.
HPIM2736.jpg

IIRC - I can't remember exactly but the term roach belly is a actually an English distortion of the French Roche something or other.........
The design was a common kitchen/table knife style from the Middle Ages at least and IMO is a very good using design.

I have seen more than one referal to it being a distorsion of LaRochelle, but the other explaination fits as well or better. IMO.

Stumpy: That's a handsome thing; glad you were able to save it. The sheath may never lose its smell entirely. I have an ammo pouch that came with an early Turkish Mauser I bought years ago, and that pouch still smells like diapers ...

:shocked2:

I actually like the way it fits the Montana sheath better (the original only left 1/2" of that slick bone handle proud). I may poof baking soda in and bury the sheath in fresh kitty-litter to dessicate the inside and draw out the odor . . . I hope. It fits my 6" J.Russell nicely.

Hey, I've got one of those!! Got it from TOTW a couple of years ago, on sale because the handle has a chip in it. I like mine, I've already used it to clean some grouse. As you can see, I also got a beaded sheath for it (I know, not p/c-h/c).
CIMG0796.jpg

CIMG0795.jpg

Nice knife. To bad the company shipping dept. does not check them over for condition. It would make me steer clear and buy one from Chris White. At least those are made in the US...

that is farily typical of the conditions those knives come in. i have bought from track and CC and couldnt tell a difference from either one vendor wise. i have only got the plain ones, as i am afraid of huge dissapointment in the damascus.i am glad to see the damascus looks to actually have a forged bolster, the plain ones are welded on. last one i got still had a sliver of welding wire on it. very nice job on that knife.

I like the looks of it if you ever decide to do a cutting test to see how well it retains an edge that would be worth while info to post

Latest posts

Back