• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An E.K. Tryon Bowie Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this last weekend on eBay and got it in the mail yesterday. It's an English-made Bowie imported by E.K. Tryon of Philadelphia in the late 19th C. / early 20th C. A very similar knife is listed as the No. 501 Hunting Knife in the scan of an 1883 Tryon catalog I have. This is the same firm that made rifles for the US Army and the sporting trade. Pedersoli offers a Tryon Rifle replica. Tryon was in business from the early 19th C. up until the late 1950s.

The blade is 5.6" long by 0.015" thick. The 4" long handle has a full tang with stag scales held on with three pins. The brass cross guard is 2" wide. It came with a serviceable sheath which I doubt is original. It came dull but I sharpened it so I can use it. It would be very neat to use it to process a deer I take with a muzzleloader, if I'm successful this fall.

bowie-left.jpg

bowie-stamps.jpg

bowie-sheathed.jpg

And for scale, next to a Pietta 1860 Army Sheriff:

bowie-colt1860.jpg

I could be wrong but I believe that the "made in england" would make it post 1883 (?) 87 when all imports had to be labled. I have owned many from that period and that is a nice example.

The knife is a beauty! It looks to be a very handy size, too. I love the patina on the steel, the brass, and the handle.

You got yourself a real prize there, Dave! A perfect companion for your California rifle!

Notchy Bob

Back