• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daisy shaped patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new daisy shaped patches from October Country?

Interesting concept about the flaps folding over the ball for a better fit/seal, just wondering if anyone has really tested them.

They sound like a marketing gimmick to me.

I bet if you called them and asked for a copy of the testing data you will get the run-around.

The issue of having the ball centered on the patch would seem to be more important , which is why many cut at the muzzle.

What’s next octagon patches? :hmm:

OC is a good company but this idea is a solution to a problem that does not exist. Pure marketing gimmik.
As long as there is enough material to cover the equator all is well. Excess material is not detrimental to the shooting.

Seems to me centering the ball on the patch would be even more critical than with a round patch (to elaborate a bit on what colorado clyde said). If it's off a bit, you'll have those cuts/overlapped 'petals' on one side of the ball and regular old bunched up patch material on the other side. With a round patch, it can be off a bit and not matter.

At least it would help you know which patches are yours if your at a match or at the range and you want to know how they are holding up, you can say mine are the Daisy shaped patches, help me find them.

Jumpshot said:
Seems to me centering the ball on the patch would be even more critical than with a round patch (to elaborate a bit on what colorado clyde said). If it's off a bit, you'll have those cuts/overlapped 'petals' on one side of the ball and regular old bunched up patch material on the other side. With a round patch, it can be off a bit and not matter.

My thinking also.

armakiller said:
At least it would help you know which patches are yours if your at a match or at the range and you want to know how they are holding up, you can say mine are the Daisy shaped patches, help me find them.

Yes and you might even get a new name...Daisy! :rotf:

I saw them in the latest issue of Muzzleloader Magazine in the "Prime Poassibles" section on page 8. The person writing about them said that they improved his score. His statement was "At a local shoot recently I used the new October Country patches (speaking of the new October Country Precision Dasiy Patch), their .018" lubed ticking in my .54, and they helped my shooting enough to put me in second place." But, me....I don't know. :idunno: I've never tried them. It's likely that I never will because what I'm using now seems to work jusrt fine. But, you never know, they may just have something new and wonderful. :hmm:

Billnpatti said:
they helped my shooting enough to put me in second place.

In the marketing world this is known as a paid testimonial.
Acceptance of the miraculous claims for me would at least require a double blind study.

Not implying that you said it Bill it just looks that way in the quote
:redface:

If they made 'em out of silk, then they'd really be special. I heard it gives you another 40 yards.

Bill most assuredly did not say that. It was a quote. Did you not see the rest of my posting where I said "But, me....I don't know. I've never tried them. It's likely that I never will because what I'm using now seems to work just fine. " I had nothing to say for nor against them, just quoting what was said by someone else in the magazine.

"In the marketing world this is known as a paid testimonial."
And do you really mean to say that Mike Nesbitt is receiving money from October Country to say that about their product?

colorado clyde said:
In the marketing world this is known as a paid testimonial.

Small scale version of all the PAC's that try to buy elections. Anything is fair game, but wallets and ballots are the ultimate truth test.

I mostly cut my patches at the muzzle, and I've noticed something. The recovered patches turn out more square than round, with rounded corners. But they sure shoot good.

Should I patent square patches with round corners and license them to someone? Sure seems like an opportunity to me. All the advantages of muzzle cutting without the knife! :rotf:

Billnpatti said:
Bill most assuredly did not say that. It was a quote. Did you not see the rest of my posting where I said "But, me....I don't know. I've never tried them. It's likely that I never will because what I'm using now seems to work just fine. " I had nothing to say for nor against them, just quoting what was said by someone else in the magazine.

Bill, that is exactly the assumption I was trying to prevent.
Yes I know you didn’t say it and I am sorry for any confusion.

Billnpatti said:
"In the marketing world this is known as a paid testimonial."
And do you really mean to say that Mike Nesbitt is receiving money from October Country to say that about their product?

Whether or not the author of the article receives compensation from said company I cannot speak to.
But certain assumptions can be made.
1. Writers get paid for their articles
2. Companies that advertise in magazine have to pay for their ads
3. People/writers who endorse or test products rarely pay for the products they test/endorse
4. It is not in a writer’s best interest to speak ill of a product supplied by company that advertises in a magazine that the writer writes for.
Make no mistake I am not attempting to say anything bad about the author or the company. It is just that magazines are vehicle for advertising and such is the nature of advertising.
Calling it a “paid testimonial” is how you classify it and is not necessarily meant as a literal interpretation.

How about the idea of pre-patched balls? Take your normal ball/patch / lube combo and fold it around the ball. Give it a couple of stitches with some fine thread so the ball / patch marriage would disintegrate upon firing. The sooner after it leaves the bore the better for accuracy purposes.
That would speed up the reloading process for events where reloading speed actually matters.

Back