• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder locked Pietta 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest problem with that PDF is the "testing" for a short arbor. The " 90° and turn" thing doesn't work so isn't a reliable test. An undeniable test is to just drop a thin washer down the arbor hole and assemble the revolver. If you can, it's obviously short. Then, it's just a matter of "how thick a spacer do I need" thing.

Mike

In fact, one should just set about finding a "starting thickness" for any open top ever made since the originals and the Piettas of the last dozen yrs or so. They are all short from any manufacturer you find including Colt 2 nd gens and all other "gens", factory open top cartridge conversions as well . . . no need to "test" , they are ALL short period! I've never had one through the shop that was "correct" except for the two categories mentioned. So, save the "testing" . . .

Mike

Last edited:
Art, i find this stuff the most helpful. Videos are ok but I am old school and do best with print and pics.
Enjoy shooting your pistols.
Dave

Dave I feel the same way, spent a lot of years as a Network Engineer on computer systems and I find it impossible to learn from electronic books etc. I still learn best if I print it out, highlight it, and make notes in the margins.

I retired a few years back and in my mid 60’s I refuse to study anything that will be obsolete in five years. Ballistics, mechanical, physics all are fine but my iPad and forums are about all I care to know about computers today…many thanks,

Art

Before I disassemble I would like to have some insight as to what might be wrong. I posted this a few weeks ago when I acquired it. It came with a conversion cylinder but I intend to get the BP cylinder for it. My son has everything to load 45LC for it but I would fell much safer with black. It appears to have never been fired , 2019 mfg date.It has locked and will not rotate. Hammer is at half cock. It will go to full cock and when trigger is pulled hammer will only fall to half cock. When barrel and cylinder are removed there is no change. Never had a problem like this with my 1851.
Dave
If it saw mine I'd take it apart, every screw and give it a good boiling. Then I'd clean everything and put it back together with some clean greese. Then that is where I'd start.

Before I disassemble I would like to have some insight as to what might be wrong. I posted this a few weeks ago when I acquired it. It came with a conversion cylinder but I intend to get the BP cylinder for it. My son has everything to load 45LC for it but I would fell much safer with black. It appears to have never been fired , 2019 mfg date.It has locked and will not rotate. Hammer is at half cock. It will go to full cock and when trigger is pulled hammer will only fall to half cock. When barrel and cylinder are removed there is no change. Never had a problem like this with my 1851.
Dave

Dave
Dave, I had this problem with my 1851 pietta. I pulled off the the back strap and the grip and the bottom frame and loosened the retaining screw on the bolt spring about a quarter turn. As it was still tight I have not had to make any adjustments since and my cylinder spins fine. I would also recommend using liberal lubrication on the cylinder Arbor as firing causes the cylinder to expand and get tight on the Arbor.

Dave
Also could be a problem with the hand or the handspring.

Back