• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bad half cock in 1851 .36 cal Pietta made in 2020

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my 1851 out of the safe to clean and was cycling it for function and when cocked to the half cock to rotate cylinder, the cylinder was locked into the full cock position, would no rotate. Happened on all the way around.
What would the probable cause of this malfunction? I know nothing the mechanisms of this revolver.

I took my 1851 out of the safe to clean and was cycling it for function and when cocked to the half cock to rotate cylinder, the cylinder was locked into the full cock position, would no rotate. Happened on all the way around.
What would the probable cause of this malfunction? I know nothing the mechanisms of this revolver.
I wonder if the bolt leg has snapped off or if it has chewed up the cam so it can't lift ? At any rate the gun needs take down to thoroughly map out trouble and fix.

Try slightly loosening the trigger guard screw.

Since all the parts are contained in the frame on an 1851 the trigger guard or its screws have no effect on the issue nor can the relationship of the trigger group to the lock works be changed. I suspect, along with M. De Land, that the problem lies with the bolt arm and hammer cam.

Latest posts

Back