• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Youth Hunter 50 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these or fired one? Came across one not long ago and wound up picking it up for a "brush gun" to be used for certain areas I hunt. Normally I hunt this area with a shotgun using 00' or slug, 35 yard shot is long range and the area is very dense with growth, so the Youth Hunter is just the right size.

Been trying to work up a decent load for the CVA 300gr Buckslayer mini's or PRB, but so far havent found the "groove" for this rifle.

Rifle Details: 1:48" twist, 24" barrel, 5.5lbs and kicks like a mule with 90gr pwdr!

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regulis7

No Powder,

Thanks for the reply, I knew someone somewhere had one of these and had found a charge/bullet that works.

I prefer patched round ball over any other bullet, so this is what I want to work up mainly. I took the rifle out 2 weeks ago for the first and only time and wasnt too happy with the results I was getting with the PRB.

I was using Triple7, .490 ball and .015 Wonder Lubed Traditions patches. Powder charges went from 60-90gr in 10gr increments.

I have picked up some Pyrodex RS, un-lubed patches and a clear plastic measure that reads in 5gr increments. Will head back to the range in the morning and see if I can find the PRB "groove" for this lil rifle.

I'll post my results tomorrow afternoon once the cleaning is taken care of.

Regulis7

My daughter who is 16 fire a youth hunter and she uses 60 grains of 3f with 490 and 495 ball with .10 or .15 patch. She has hit targets up to 150 yrds at our range near Frankfort Kansas.

I talked to a lady I know that shoots one of these all the time and is a very good shot with it. She shoots a round ball with the load between the 65 and 70 mark on her powder measure of 2x. She said the ball is 490 and the patch .015.
She uses the same load to take her deer with, but doesen't drive them just sits in a tree stand.
No Powder

No Powder & Rick,

Thanks for the load suggestions. I took the CVA back out today and started with the 60gr load using the Triple7 and PRB's. Same results I had first time, no consistant groups to speak of.

I then switched to the Pyrodex RS using the same 60gr charge and PRB's and my shot placement started grouping consistantly.

I have the zero now set at 50 yards to hit about 2" high, this puts me pretty much dead on at 25 and 100.

After I got the zero set on the bench I proceded to shoot everything else off hand and was really pleased with my results. Although my shooting isnt gonna win any matches I can keep my hits inside the 8" vitals zone from 25-100 yards off hand now.

One thing I noticed was how much of a difference the patch material and lubes make when it comes to consistant PRB shooting. Once I get this sorted out I will definatly have a neat "lil" brush gun for the upcoming season.

One last question, anyone know how the PRB over 60gr will perform on a whitetail out to 100 yrds max? Most likely my shots will be under 50 so I am curious about this load/ball combo.

Regulis7

Latest posts

Back