• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Trophy .50 (kinda long)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Grease

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was inside one of the local pawn shops today and spied this rifle on the shelf(no pics). To describe it it is half stock where the barrel is inlet into the stock it is octagon and as soon as the barrel extends past the stock it is round. It also has a place tapped for a scope. the front and rear sight are modern i.e. rear has a spring in the middle where elevation screw is and front is a ramped dove tail design. The bad stock shows signs of use (being nice)i.e. scratched the hammer is factory but it is angled. The nipple looks rusted and shows signs of attempted removal i.e. rounded edges. The nipple itself is toast but a new one is in the box of accessories. The screw near the nipple looks like it will be real fun to remove too. It has a allen or hex head screw that holds the barrel and stock together. It comes with a box of goodies. The box is filled with primers new in plastic remington #11's brand new cleaning kit i.e. jag, breech plug scaper, ball puller, brass powder horn, box of ball and a box minnies. For some reason they even put the not talked about new style muzzle loader accessories in with it too. All for the price of $125 I am taking my nipple wrench and bore light back tomorrow and check it out. Last but not least Anyone have any pros or cons on this type of rifle? :hmm:

if the bore ain't a sewer pipe that is a fair price. might take a little work on the nipple and drum screw if rusted in tho. good luck

Pull out your old ipod and trade him even up lol. Just kidding. If the bore is decent I'd go for it. I don't know how CVA's work but My T/C New Englander allows some of the powder to flow from the combustion chamber directly under the nipple, needless to say the gun goes off instantly when I pull the trigger.

I'd love to get a CVA just to understand how they work.

Jerem

I would say thats a fair price with all the goodies your getting IF the barrel is in good shape. I got a 45 cal. Kentucky a few years ago for that price and it shoots great.I have gotten in the habit of tapping the side by the breech to make sure a little powder goes over to the drum, so it doesn't miss fire. That has only happen once and of course I was deer hunting. Good luck

slow poke:
The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values printed in 2003 says the Trophy in 95 percent condition was worth $140.
In the condition you've described $125 might be a fair price depending on the condition of the bore.

Thanks for the info everyone, I went home to get my bore light and the nipple wrench when I got back it had already sold. I lost out on that one. I now keep the bore light and wrench in my vehicle. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Toss in a .50 and a .54 cal brass cleaning jag along with a few lightly oiled cleaning patches too.

These will come in real handy to determine if the barrel has been bulged (localized loose spot) and to see how much rust you will get out of the bore.

If the bore has a loose spot, pass on the buy.
If the bore has just a little flash rusting in it, that can serve as a mighty big lever in talking down the asking price of the gun. :grin:

Latest posts

Back