• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA SxS 12 ga.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought another 12 ga. SxS. I measured the bore diameter at the muzzles and got .726 and .729. My Pietta is choked cyl/cyl and measures .735.

Question: Are the reduced diameters the result of choke constriction or are Spanish made 12 ga. guns just "in the ballpark" when it comes to bore size?

It's a fair question. 12 gauge "should be" .729. The .726 bore is closer to that than .735, which appears to be intentionally over-bored (as many modern guns are). .003 constriction is not really a "choke".

Older reproductions guns are not always that close to standard bore. I have a nice old Pedersoli 12 that mic's at .714 and .710.

My Pedersoli is also not a 12, it is a 13ga. 13 ga wads load so much easier.

Even modern shotguns have am "acceptable bore size range", and vary not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but also gun to gun. As was said above, .003" difference isn't a "choke". If anything, it might give you one barrel than is slightly more accurate than the other if you use PRB, so that you can load a RB in one side, and shot in the other like I do with my 13ga. PRB on one side, and #6 on the other, and usually use this gun to hunt my local Corps of Engineers lake, which considers squirrel, rabbit, and HOG to all be "small game". Anyway, Since you have now measured the bore, do your wads from your other one fit ok? If not, there is a gentleman here that goes by Ohio Ramrod, who makes some great quality punches at very reasonable prices. I have two he made, one for my 28ga and one for my 13ga. Makes keeping components much easier to keep in stock as I just use cereal boxes and soft drink boxes and punch cards out of them.

Back