• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What happened to CVA's line of revolvers? Apparently they made their own revolvers but no longer have any online.

They stopped selling revolvers when they decided to get rid of their stock of sidelock rifles. I believe they imported their revolvers and put their logo on them but I could be wrong. Their revolvers as far as I know, had a good reputation.

Don

Well their revolver manual says they "redesigned the walker barrel wedge" to reduce frame stress so i assumed they built them all. I was just curious as no one else claims to have done that to the walker and was wondering what their other revolvers were like.

I thought I had posted this info a while back... but here it is anyway... I got it directly from a CVA public relations person.

CVA is dropping ALL of their sidelock rifles, shotguns, pistols, and cap-n-ball revolvers. This is due to a changing "market" and they want to stay "competitive".

I can't honestly believe that CVA will survive on the reputation of their inline rifles and shotgun alone. I don't think their inlines are as reliable or well made as other comparably priced brands. Nowadays, everyone has their own version of the "H&R break open shotgun" converted to muzzleloading gun. I do have a CVA Eclipse Inline and it does perform adequately, BUT no better than an equivalent BobCat or Mt. Stalker at least for my style of hunting/shooting.

It was the tradionally inexpensive (relative to other brands) models that got MANY people started into muzzle loading. Now that the Euro is trouncing the US Dollar into the ground, ANY & ALL of the European imports are going to cost "considerably more"! I feel that CVA did NOT want to absorb ANY of that additional cost OR pass it on to the end consumer or distributorships. I feel CVA will be going under within a few years.

It is regrettable...

FYI, I contacted Traditions also, and they stated that they will continue to supply the traditionally designed muzzleloaders, pistols and cap-n-ball revolvers.

If you find a nice CVA gun (new-old stock)somewhere, I would buy it. It probably won't become a valuable collector's piece, but they are quite adequate for any conventional muzzleloading hunting. 100gr of FFg behind a .50cal round ball "should" take anything on this continent with a steady hand and a keen eye behind the trigger...

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Finally got an email back from bpi customer service. Apparently all bp revolver and most likely sidelocks were sent over to Deer Creek Products.

It will be interesting to watch if CVA can survive with just "Inliners". My observation is that inliners are used by hunters, and ONE is enough; traditional ones are used by hunters, AND target-shooters, AND reenactors, so they have multiple of traditional guns (I have 2 but I'm just starting) :D

May be I'm wrong, but I think CVA is sewing off the branch they sit on.

Good study about the future of traditional vs. modern BP shooting. :imo:

It will be interesting to watch if CVA can survive with just "Inliners".

May be I'm wrong, but I think CVA is sewing off the branch they sit on.

Good study about the future of traditional vs. modern BP shooting. :imo:

Did you mean to say "sawing" instead of "sewing"? At least I am assuming that because of the connotation of the statement.

I feel that relatively soon, CVA is going to be just a memory, AND a bad one for some!...

I, of course, agree completely and unabashedly... I think they would have been better off to "sell off" their CVA name and tradmark along with the sidelocks and handguns to a large conglomerate, such as ATK products. NOT that I have ANY love for ATK, in fact I think they are predatory and downright disreputable--due to their internal practices and policies... but I use them ONLY as an example of a corporation expanding it's horizons and diversifying into a wider consumer market base, so that they have a better chance of survival in a WAY too tough economy. Now that was a mouthful of words!... eh?

It's just another example of how pressures--financial and political/social--have greatly curtailed ANY business's chances of maintaining reputation, quality, and variety of product lines.

In fact I have concluded that with the plethora of modern cartridge firing guns--which have become so complicated and regulated to the point of calling an end user's sight adjustments as "tampering with the warranty and safety of the product" (i.e. they are afraid of getting on the wrong end of a lawsuit).

I think it is very prudent to only buy and use traditional muzzleloaders, which, (if you stick with traditional locks and parts) haven't basically changed since their inception. I can strip and put toghether one blindfolded, or repair my lock, or "make" a replacement part for an outdated gun, tune up the action, lighten the trigger pull, etc... Try doing that with the latest Super Short Action, Mini Magnum Cartridge, bolt action models and see what I mean...

I might have a strange view of things, but it's just an opinion.

I would have thought that this topic might have garnered some more strongly biased, but candid replies and rebuttals... guess most people just tend to not go against the grain. But then that's why CVA is sticking strictly to inlines too!

My $0.02 for the subject (actually it would cost about 3.2 cents in Euros!!!)

Choose Wisely, Spend even MORE wisely, then Shoot Safely,!
WV_Hillbilly

These are business people that have survived for a long time already.

If they were making money on their sidelocks and C&B revolvers they would not be dropping the lines.

In-lines are the cheapist units to produce that have ever been devised. CVA probably has about $25 in parts and labor per unit.

Or perhaps they know something about the federal laws, the import laws or economic structure that we are not privy too.

:imo:

Somebody better tell Beretta/Uberti, F.LLI Pietta, Navy Arms, Pedersoli then. I don't believe they see an import problem I think EMF, IAR, DWG, Cabelas would let them know.
:m2c:

I'm SURE that they (CVA) know "something" that the average joe does not know regarding their reduction/dropping the product line.

BUT, it would not be discreet of me to repeat or reveal anything further regarding the "burnt bridges"... I'll just leave it at that, and you can read between the lines.

No, the importation process is not a problem for those other companies mentioned.

Some good news too. The EURO HAS LOST SOME GROUND against the good ol US dollar!!! I don't see how it ever got ahead in the first place, but "economics is a queer duck" as my one Uncle would have said.

Yes, those inlines have to be cheap to produce... as I paid only $69 for my Eclipse and that was 2 yrs ago now. It had to have at least a 50% profit margin or I don't think they would even bothered with it. That $25 figure is probably not very far off... and it doesn't matter about the retail price or the brand name in the USA. I don't think ANY inline (with the exception of the US made Savage--and that's a different kind of beast altogether) are worth any more than any other.

Everyone seems to be producing a "son of a NEF/H&R, break- open, single-shot, shotgun/rifle type, 150grain/3-pellet, magnumized, hyper fast, muzzle aligning, saboted projectile, 209 ignitioned, long range muzzleloading rifle". Strange how most hunters would scorn the same style gun if it were just a real H&R single barrel shotgun or rifle instead???

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Yeah Wv, CVA can no longer beat or meet Berretta/Uberti's or Pietta's, Navy Arms, or Euro Arms quality/prices ... just business.

Back