• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA / Pietta 1851 Colt Replica in 44 rusty barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk1971

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received my brand new CVA (made by Pietta) 1851 Colt Replica in 44 with a brass frame. I couldn't resist the deal.
Anyways, I took it apart for a complete degrease and clean because it was covered in that cosmoline stuff. The inside of the barrel had rust, as well as the inside of the cylinder walls. The cylinder cleaned up (walls still kinda rusty brown, but no external rust "sticking out"). But the barrel, when scrubbed, left some pitting inside.

Is this normal? Was it because it was test fired and then probably rusted afterwards? Is it safe to fire? It did not rust through, but pitting inside of a brand new barrel makes me feel uneasy. I was looking forward to shooting it this weekend. Should I not?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tony

Unless it was sold as used, i would return it. There shouldn't be any rust in the barrel or cylinder, or anywhere else for that matter on a new gun. Also, unless it was a REAL good deal, i would see about getting one with a steel frame. The brass framed ones are ok with LIGHT loads, but if you want to shoot heavier charges you really need a steel framed one.

The same thing happened to me once. The rust didn't bother me so much as the pitting. It won't make it unsafe to shoot but could effect accuracy. It seems that some manufacturers proof the barrels then don't clean them after leaving fouling that causes the rusting. When it happened to me I called the retailer and they were happy to have me return it and they sent a new one right out. The new one had rust too but no pitting. I scrubbed the jeekers out of it and it shoots great. If I were you I'd call the place you bought it and see if they will take the pitted one back and send you a new one. If they are out of stock and can't then clean it and lube it the best you can and see how it shoots. A little bit of pitting shouldn't make it unsafe and may not have too much effect on accuracy.

Good Luck

Don

Don,

You're absolutely right on this one. I called up the vendor and they sent me a replacement. Found the usual rust, but when cleaned up, a perfect barrel.

Shoots good too.

Thanks.

Tony

Back