• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Moutain Pistol Kit Refinish.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Taking a cue form anther post where Hatchet-Jack refinished the stock on his CVA Mountain Pistol I have started to do the same with mine. My sister gave me this pistol after her husband died (Y’all would have liked Dave. Salt of the earth type and dearly missed). He built it from a kit and it looks like a kit build. He did some creative fitting.

First pic is the gun disassembled. The stock still has a blondish finish. The metal to wood fit is pretty bad at the tang and you can see the two screws he used to adjust the fit of the barrel and the tang.

20210606_162959.jpg

20210606_163032.jpg
20210606_163433.jpg

My plan is to take the stock down to bare wood and use Aqua Fortis or equivalent to give it a darker finish. The places where he use screws to fit the barrel and tang will be filled with beech wood and re-inlet for a better metal to wood fit.

Started scraping the finish off of the stock. Man, my left hand is killing me from holding the stock while scraping. Now I'll have to clear off my garage work bench and put up the gun vise to hold it. I am using a single edged razor blade and I have some bare wood showing. There is, however, some discoloration that just doesn't want to come out. Maybe one of you guys can give me a hint about that. Is that just the wood or old stain? Maybe when I get my bench cleared off I might find my cabinet
20210606_171936.jpg
scraper and do some serious damage.

Latest posts

Back