• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native Arizonan said:
I went out yesterday and tried the rubbing alcohol instead of the TC #13, and it worked good. Much less expensive. Thanks for the tip!
I'm glad it worked for you. I like using 91% rubbing alcohol because it's cheap, contains a little bit of water and because alcohol has a much lower boiling point than water, evaporates quickly. This makes for less of a chance of leaving anything in the bore that might affect the next powder charge. I also like to use cotton flannel material for my cleaning/swabbing patches because it grabs and removes so much fouling.

I haven't located any castor oil, but I tried the grapeseed oil dry patches. I think there was a little less residue than with the straight coconut oil lubed patches that I also had, but I still needed to run a patch through the bore between shots, and the coconut oil was easier to load. If I get hold of some castor oil, I'll give that a try.

Castor oil can be purchased from dirt bike shops. It is gas/oil premix for 2-strokes.

That said I bet you will find castor oil makes a varnish when exposed to high heat. That is why is is good as a 2-stroke oil, the varnish coats the cylinder and piston and helps prevent galling and seizing.

Cotton flannel is what I was using. I've got an old Queen sized flannel bedsheet that should last for a lot of cleanings. The way I did it was push it down with the jag, then pull it out, turn it over and use the same one for a second run. Then load. It kept shooting just fine. I was having problems with the sun on my sites again and couldn't find any shade to alleviate the glare, so my accuracy wasn't quite like the other day.

I was happy with the shim I had put in the lock, as it worked perfect, no malfunctions this time.

That's what I do if there's a lot of fouling on one side. I just buy a yard of cotton flannel at the fabric store and cut square patches, which pile up pretty quick. It might take me a year to use one yard of fabric which like the rubbing alcohol, is cheap.

Sometimes using a black, felt tip marker on the top of the front sight will cut the glare.

I'll give that a try. I usually have one around for marking previous hits on a target. I know the old way was to get some soot on it by holding a match or candle right below the sights. I remember seeing an old guy doing that when I was a little kid.

Native Arizonan said:
I was having problems with the sun on my sites
Here's a trick,
Sometimes it's not just the sights that glare, it's the entire top of the barrel.
I use flat black stove paint, (spray can) on the top flat,, just mask it off careful like and spray, peel away the tape and done.
Seeing sights is all about the light that gets to your eyes.
I have a Black magic marker and "White Out" in my shooting kit for different conditions.

I'm somewhat confused here! I had a CVA MR, but it was an inline rifle. Did CVA make a side lock rifle also?

Cva does have an inline that they refer to as a mountain rifle which can make things pretty confusing sometimes. You know, I hadn't really paid too much attention in the last few yrs up until here recently, but the inline craze has pretty much put a damper on traditional muzzle loaders according to the extremely limited offerings from the mass production manufacturers these days. As far as I'm concerned, inline's are just totally sacrilegious! I have always been a died in the wool traditionalist since day one.

Rafsob said:
I had a CVA MR, but it was an inline rifle
Sorry, we use MR here as an abbreviation for Mountain Rifle,, not to be confused with the Accura MR. CVA themselves, never called the Accura MR a moutain rifle, but it may be referred to as that by some of the public

Mountain stalker is a traditional side lock, not in line (I have one). Its hawkenish in looks and was a cheap offering by Cabelas and bass pro for several years. Decent shooter for the $99.00 or so I paid.

The CVA Mountain Stalker is a CVA Bobcat with a 1/32 twist barrel ,i bought one to just get the barrel which i installed in a Traditions Buckskinner stock made a nice little conical shooter, There were two versions of the Buckskinner a 1/20 twist which i had and a later version a 1/38 twist.

Back