• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Pistol .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORBushman

"In the Woods"
Reaction score
Had another toy show up today for playing at the range with. In pretty clean shape and all seems to function. It is missing the ramrod retaining spring but, I found one and got it ordered up a few minutes ago. Once here, I'll take the ole girl to the range and see how she does. Any suggestions on a good load? I've got some .440 balls and .10./.15 dry shooting patches. Will lube up with some TOTW Mink Oil. 20-30gr powder range for this one like the Dikar?

thumbnail_IMG_1051.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1052.jpg

Last edited:
Unless this is a back up gun for a mean ol bahr 15 gr is plenty to knock stuff down, punch paper n make smoke
Greatly appreciate the suggestions! Not a backup gun, just going to punch holes in paper. Figured I'd start @10yds and move out to about 20yds and see how she's hitting. She's definitely got some weight on her! 😁

I have a .50 I bought as a kit when Deer Creek still had some 5-6 years ago. The only gun I ever put together and it shot point of aim right off the get-go. I like the beefy feel and boom as compared to my Traditions Kentucky pistol. I shoot 20 g 2f in mine.

I understand those are nice pistols. I have two of the old CVA Mountain Rifles, though. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

@ORBushman , if you would visit the Deer Creek Products website, you will find that they have digitized all of the old CVA manuals and loading charts. These can be downloaded and printed, if you like. A quick look at the loading chart reveals a recommended load of a .440" ball with a .015" patch, with a recommended minimum powder charge of 20 grains of FFFg, and a maximum charge of 40 grains of FFFg.

As a final note, I would like to commend you on your photography. Those are terrific pictures! You picked a nice, natural background with interesting features but no clutter, and the lighting is about perfect. You can see every detail of the subject. You've set a benchmark for the rest of us.

Notchy Bob

I understand those are nice pistols. I have two of the old CVA Mountain Rifles, though. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

@ORBushman , if you would visit the Deer Creek Products website, you will find that they have digitized all of the old CVA manuals and loading charts. These can be downloaded and printed, if you like. A quick look at the loading chart reveals a recommended load of a .440" ball with a .015" patch, with a recommended minimum powder charge of 20 grains of FFFg, and a maximum charge of 40 grains of FFFg.

As a final note, I would like to commend you on your photography. Those are terrific pictures! You picked a nice, natural background with interesting features but no clutter, and the lighting is about perfect. You can see every detail of the subject. You've set a benchmark for the rest of us.

Notchy Bob
Thank you sir, I greatly appreciate the kind words and the directions on where to find info for the pistol. I will head over there and down load those instructions. 👍

I took those photos on my Bushcraft stump. We had some pretty good weather today and lighting was perfect!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back