• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA/Juker kit rifle? Anyone else

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsieber

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one my Dad gave me this year. It's an older kit type with the full Pennsylvania/Kentucky stock in .45. He bought it second hand back in the late 80's and never used it much. I realize it's not the best or highest quality but I do enjoy it and it seems to shoot ok. I don't get too crazy with loading it up hot.

I'd like to get a deer with it then maybe get another one like a TC Firestorm or Traditions.

Bill, I think you'll find a lot of us have had one of them or still do. They seem to be plentiful. I've just started shooting one and found it to be accurate if not pretty. Enjoy it for what it is. :thumbsup: GW

The jukar barrels were a big improvement over the earlier barrels. I have had or worked on many and the barrels were quite accurate. It is my personal opinion that all CVA locks are not high quality (Except the ones they used on their mountain rifle with the Made in USA barrels). The percusions where passable, with work, but the locks on the flints usually were replaced. :hmm:

Maybe my lock has been changed out. It's not marked and seems to work acceptable. Can't say I've ever used a real good flinter so I don't know how they would work when they work perfect.

My son has an old jukar import caplock that is just as accurate as a person can hold it.

The CVA-JUKAR-Traditions have a reputation of being very accurate. Many have won prizes with these rifles competing against others that cost several times more. The locks on these rifles especially flintlocks have a spotty reputation at best. Some do great, some would make a better fishing weight. I happen to have a very reliable sparker on my Traditions. It sounds like you have a good one.
There are several improvemants that can be done to that rifle such as new and better locks, and I've seen some pretty impresive stock work where the rifle was slimmed and carved. One even had a cheek piece glued on and was finely carved. It was executed beutifully.
If you are interested in rifle building, rebuilding and reshaping one of these rifles would be good traing with the proper tools. One word of caution though it would be very easy to spend as much on a re-do as a good kit costs. Especially if you change the lock.

Back