• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawkens Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkenshunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
Guys, I have a question.
I have a CVA Hawkens Hunter in .54 caliber 32 " length x 15/16 across the flats.
I would like to retro fit it to a more "antique" style stock set up-i.e brass butt plate etc.
Mine is a single wedge barrel with a button tang
Should this be a straight swap if the donor is for 15/16 with a single wedge?

I believe so, most CVA/Traditions "Hawken" style barrels have the under lug in the same spot with enough tolerance to make up any difference from stock to stock. A few CVA barrels have the barrel tennion a few inches forward so best to check the measurement from the breach end to the tennon lug.

The barrels from my Traditions Deerhunter ,CVA Hawken, and Traditions Springfield Hawken all swap between themselves. However the fit of the drum in the dished out section of the lock plate varies slightly so some fitting may be required.

Thank you. I am looking at a CVA stock on ebay..
seller says it is 15/16 and it is a single lug.
It looks identical.
Mine is fine and in good shape but I would like a more traditional looking vs utilitarian.

Thank you. I am looking at a CVA stock on ebay..
seller says it is 15/16 and it is a single lug.
It looks identical.
Mine is fine and in good shape but I would like a more traditional looking vs utilitarian.
Just ask for the measurement from back of breach to center of wedge tennon. If it's the same it should fit with minor fitting. Good luck.

Traditions stocks have the wedge key generally 2" further back.

Also if that's a button breech, stocks that use a hook breech, will be different in the tang inletting and trigger inletting.

I don't fully understand what you're try to get. If you want a different stock, your best bet is to buy a stock blank.

What I am wanting is a more "traditional" muzzle loader. Mine is a hunting version with a rubber butt pad and sling attachments. I was given this rifle which is cool but if I had been in the market I would not have chosen it.
I have since bought a CVA stock with brass fittings hopefully it will work out.

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words. Upper is what I have. Lower is what I wanted to convert to. Switched out the barrel tang and barrel fits like a glove.
IMG_1283.jpeg

Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words. Upper is what I have. Lower is what I wanted to convert to. Switched out the barrel tang and barrel fits like a glove.View attachment 307958
I just refinished a cva gun just like that. You can make them way nicer than they came from the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4445.jpeg
    IMG_4445.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Most likely. You'll find a water based stain will work much better at absorbing into the wood than an oil based. Some guys use leather dye instead of stain.
Pretty much the only stain that will work well is alcohol based. Water and oil based do not do well on beech. I used feibrings leather shoe dye. It is alcohol based.

Latest posts

Back