• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva hawken stuck ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not be banging on the ball. BP and smokeless can discharge with impact. If there is a load in there I agree with removing the drum to see.

If the drum is plugged I would try to pick it out with a pipe cleaner or soft piece of wire. If it is plugged with rust I would soak it in evaporust for a couple of days. It will remove the bluing but it looks like that wouldn't be a bad thing anyway. I have had very good luck using evaporust on things lately. Including the removal of a stuck nipple.

Use the search feature and type in stuck ball. Hopefully your post won’t go 20 pages like the one a couple weeks ago concerning a stuck ball. If it was me I’d put a nipple in it and shoot it out. If you’re afraid it’s loaded with smokeless powder you can remove the drum and scrape/knock it out. Put the drum back in and trickle in some black powder and shoot it out.
THAT IS THE EASIEST!! iF THAT DOESN'T WORK, TACK A WOOD SCREW IN THE END OF SOME ALL THREAD, TAP IT INTO THE BALL, PLACE A WASHER ON THE MUZZLE END & NUT & TIGHTEN THE NUT TILL IT COMES OUT MAKE SURE THE SCREW IS WELDED WELL!! Good luck!!

I’m interested in trying this has anyone here actually used the grease gun trick and had it work?
tried it,,, just made a mess. The grease kept coming out around the zero and would not push anything out the barrel. For ME,, a waste of time and a mess. Might work for someone else.

I just picked this up but loaded , no idea for how long, loaded with what, dry balled is possible no way to know. I was able to get a ball pulling jag on my solid range rod and it WILL NOT budge! Any advice? It’s missing the nipple I thought of trickling some 4f and using cannon fuse to see if it would blow out but not knowing how it’s loaded I’m afraid that’s a bad idea. C02 discharge was a waste and did nothing. I appreciate the help
I've used everything from penetrating oil to Dawn dish soap to remove a severely stuck ball. They worked. Good luck

You guys do know that the OP pulled the bullet back on post #15 on page 1, no drama involved. Now you can go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Yeah, we saw it. Don't care. Comment away!!

1646675040696.png

wm

Old wife's tale
It has happened. Even with smokeless. Some time ago a bench rest shooter had a round stick in the chamber. He put the rifle on the bench, removed the bolt and ran a rod down the bore. It discharged and the case came out the rear and killed his wife walking behind the gun..
Now a wang against a ball to seat does not seem bad but I do not do that either.

It has happened. Even with smokeless. Some time ago a bench rest shooter had a round stick in the chamber. He put the rifle on the bench, removed the bolt and ran a rod down the bore. It discharged and the case came out the rear and killed his wife walking behind the gun..
Now a wang against a ball to seat does not seem bad but I do not do that either.

Where did this happen? Where is the article in the newspaper? Where is the documentation? If he removed the bolt why didn't the extractor pull the case leaving only the bullet in the riflings? What set off the powder charge?

Howdy, I came home from the range and yelled to my wife that I had pulled out a dry ball at the range. She said she couldn't hear me and that she would come downstairs in a little bit, but she was busy playing with the painter's caulk...........

where to start! so much wrong with this scenario.

NOT wanting to seat! only get the screw started into the ball, then screw it into the ball with two nuts on the shaft. After firmly grabbing the ball, use one nut & washer to slowly pull the ball out! I hope that is clear enough??

Latest posts

Back