• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken Screw Thread Size & Pitch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gifford

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good Morning ALL - Another CVA question. This is a great forum; lots of great info and ideas. I've tried but just haven't found the answer in search function.

It's a CVA Hawken .50 and a recent purchase. There is one screw that has half of its head missing. The screw in question is the one that holds the trigger sear spring in place. It's the screw on the plate just a bit ahead of the trigger sear. Hope I've described it correctly, I have tried to find a schematic of the lock with the screw descriptions.

I can probably get a match at the hardware store, I'm reluctant to take it apart with the half missing screw head until I get a replacement although I know taking it apart is an option and then trying the match.

Any info on size and pitch?

Thanks, gifford

The screw in question will be a metric screw.
If the screw has been removed, take the lockplate to the hardware store and start trying metric screws until you find one that will screw into the hole using finger pressure only.

As to whether the screw needs replacing or not I'll leave that up to you but sometimes the screw that holds the sear spring to the lock will have a small part of the head removed so that it doesn't stick up above the exterior contour of the lock, or so that it is low enough to allow some stock wood to exist under the lockplate.

IMO, the main force envolved with a sear spring is taken by the small tab that sticks out of the spring and engages a slot in the lockplate.
The only thing the sear spring screw does is to keep the upper area of the sear spring tight against the lockplate. The screw doesn't need a full head to do this.

Zonie - Thanks for the reply.

The screw is in place. Right now it is functioning, the one half head screw will be replaced. Although as you pointed out, the sear spring tab takes the strain and the screw keeps it in place. I'll take it out and I hope to replace it and pick up a spare tomorrow. Right now three screw heads are at the same height.

Thanks, gifford

Back