• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva Hawken Premier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastleo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently picked up another CVA Hawken and the with the original box. It’s called a Hawken Premier. It’s not something I’ve seen before so I thought I’d share. It has way above average wood with curl in walnut. I’m not sure how many are out there but it’s definitely something to keep an eye out for.

It has a 15/16 50 cal barrel and it’s currently being fitted for a 54 cal barrel. So the barrel is not pictured. I’m planning on blackening the brass as well. It’s actually a decently fitted gun for a cva. After I get it the way I like it, I hope it will be a nice rifle.
IMG_3211.jpeg
IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_3208.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_3206.jpeg
IMG_3206.jpeg
IMG_3209.jpeg
IMG_3210.jpeg

Memory kicking in... not that it applies to the OP's gun...

But wasn't there a manufacturer applying what they called a "finish" to the surface of their stocks?
I thought it was on muzzleloaders, but maybe it was more modern rifles...

Gotta Google this. I know I came upon this info a while back.

It has a 15/16 50 cal barrel and it’s currently being fitted for a 54 cal barrel. So the barrel is not pictured. I’m planning on blackening the brass as well. It’s actually a decently fitted gun for a cva. After I get it the way I like it, I hope it will be a nice rifle.View attachment 231848View attachment 231842View attachment 231843View attachment 231844View attachment 231845View attachment 231845View attachment 231846View attachment 231847
That wood is insane and the rest is wonderful too!/Ed

If there is one there is probably more, I generally don’t look for cva guns so I’m not an expert. I’ll be keeping an eye out for them going forward.

Does the barrel channel show the same wood grain? Cva used laminated stocks to make them look like highly figured wood. Basically hydrodipped into a wood finish.

It’s definitely not your run of mill CVA wood. I suspect that is why it is Premier Grade along with the hand fitting. Great find on an unusual rifle.
That and the fact it came with a chromed lined barrel, per the label on the box. Still would need to be cleaned but much more corrosion resistant and easier to clean. Maybe even less fouling build up.

They did indeed find a nice stick of wood for that rifle! It looks as if they took some extra care in fitting the wood to the metal, and the engraving and classier sideplate are both nice features. I would like to see it after the brass has been blackened... That is an interesting idea.

You have a nice rifle there, my friend.

Notchy Bob

i respectfully disagree shoot it it was built to use. in the vast scheme of things the change of value is minimal as long as you take care of it after shooting. i hope it shoots as good as it looks ....... mine does
wasnt sayin dont shoot it, it should be used. just might not want to made any irreversible mods. and no its not a million dollar gun, but i fell special editions ect. should remain as they were made for future caretakers to enjoy as we did. in the end it is his to do as he wishes with.

Latest posts

Back