• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva Hawken .50 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use the .490 balls. On the box it states that these are for 50 cal and then it will say .490 diameter. I also just buy the premade/lubed patches. I've got a Bass Pro, Sportsman's wearhouse, and Sheels sporting goods very close by and they all sell BP stuff. All of them seem to carry more 50 cal items than any other so it's not hard to find what I need. Bass Pro sells 2X, 3X, and 4X goex black powder. I use the 3X in my Hawken. I've used Pyrodex but have had a few times where it's failed to go bang with that stuff.

I use the #10 caps on my rifle. I bought some 11s just in case but have never used them yet.

www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

I found this and didnt know if it was a good idea or whatnot. If anyone has any info on these can you throw out some info? I hear it helps with misfires. Im just looking to get my gun up to date without having to buy a new gun. I like this gun alot and want to use it. Ive had people tell me that flintlocks are not good and to just sell mine off and buy a newer bp gun but this gun has a sentimental value to me so im Going to do what i can to keep it and use it

Last edited by a moderator:
You're kind of putting the cart before the horse. You don't need that. Get it out and shoot it and get to know your gun. I have quite a few and have no problems with any of them. Yours for all intensive purposes is a new gun. If you can get real BP, that would be your best bet to minimize problems. I have used the subs also and had no problems.

Ok. I was asking because i saw alot of threads on these #11 primers that stated they misfired. Thanks

I have had the bang stuff fall out of some #11 CCI caps. Just the other day I went to use my capper I haven't bothered with in over a year as I just place them by hand. Anyways I went to cap the first shot of the day and the bang stuff fell out! Had it happen with another cap a couple shots later.
Most of my issues with caps has been this very problem.

Well, I own both flintlock and caplock. I love them both. I've had good reliability with my flintlock. It's a very fun gun to shoot. Same with my caplock. I think my only problem with my caplock was the powder I was using. Sometimes Pyrodex isn't the best to use in sidelock rifles (from what I've read on here), so that could be why I had my failure to fire when I was using it. When I use real black powder I never have a failure to fire.

A flintlock uses a Flint in the cock/hammer to strike against the frizzen and throw sparks in the pan to ignite the powder. A caplock uses a percussion cap placed on a nipple to ignite the powder in the chamber. Both are side locks since the hammer lock sits along the side of the rifle.

It's always surprising that I see some sellers on Gunbroker selling percussion rifles and listing them as flintlocks. You would think that someone selling guns would know the difference.

Oh ok see i was under the impression that it was a flintlock. As you can tell i am new to this haha. Theres a guy at my work that has a t/c impact and hes selling it for 100.00. Is that worth the money? He said he only used it for one deer season

Sorry to have to tell you but the TC Impact is a modern "in line" gun.

Discussing In Line guns on the forum is against the forum rules.

yes it seems that way.. you guys have all been realy patient with me and i appreciate that. i really look forward to this sport.. ever since i got this gun i have thought about nothing but black powder lol.

Started cleaning my rifle today and this is what i found so far
This is the first cleaning patch i put theough it..

And this os how far i got before i had to go to work.. Will get more into it tonight.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Ive put about 30 patches theough it with bore cleaner. Should i keep going?

Looks like the bore has a lot of rust, but what you are getting could be old dried up grease used to protect it. How do the patches feel going down the bore? If they are hard & feel rough it's probably rust.

I wouldn't give up on it though. Pick up one of those Chore Boy copper scrubbers for kitchen work. Tear off a little and wrap it around a loose fitting bore brush and use it to scrub the bore with some penetrating oil like Kroil. You will be surprised how well it will clean the rust out.

I have some old rifles that the bore was really rusted & pitted and they still shoot very accurately.

Ok thanks for not putting it down lol. Anyone else in other forums usually would say its pointless to try and get it back to shooting condition. I cant give up. Its coming along. The bore fells not too bad. I mean its pretty smooth for the most part. Its hard going in for the first couple inches and then its nice and smooth. Im more worried about the nipple and hammer not lining up. I put a cap in it today after cleaning it alot and fired it off and it took 2 tries on 2 different caps. The nipple looks like its too far forward and the hammer does t seat right. WhT can i do to fix this?

Back