• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken 45 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaCop

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Won another muzzleloader on an auction site. It's a CVA Hawken, 28" bbl and is in 45 cal. It has a full buckhorn rear sight. I'll be picking it up Monday as the seller lives only an hour away. It has a 4 digit serial number. Seller says they've "had it quite a while but it was only fired once".

Tom

I have one of those in a 54 cal works great on deer.With yours beening a 45 cal you might want to try conicals in it also,I know I'll hear about this statement. :thumbsup:

I have one in .50, and they're not fancy, but they do work very well for a plain work horse rifle. Mine does 3-4" at 100 yds, which is the same as I tend to do with anything else with traditional irons sights, so I would think yours would shoot the same.

I did send the seller an e-mail about bore condition and was told it was in very good condition. I snagged it for $150.

Tom

With my old eyes and being unfamiliar with a full buckhorn sight, I'll be satisfied if I can get at least three inches out of it.

Tom

Cleaned it when I got home as the previous owner didn't do a good cleaning when he put it away, rust was on the base of the stainless steel nipple so I removed and cleaned up the nipple and the threads in the bolster so that is clean now. The barrel had a light coating of rust that took some scrubbing with a bore brush wrapped with steel wool to remove. The bore feels smooth now but I'm still getting some red rust on a patch from the barrel area near the breech. I'm considering trying some ATF to soak the bore.

Tom

Thanks! I already have acetone, just have to pick up some ATF. I ran more patches through it again today after hitting it with a bronze bore brush. I'm still getting rust stains on the patches but now the bore feels nice and smooth.

Maybe shooting it tomorrow (if the damned weather co-operates) will loosen up more rust.

Tom

A bit of shooting and the bore is now fine. I'm using 45 grains of FFFg T-7 with an Ox Yoke .015" patch and it's grouping 2.55" at 70 yards now, giving me an average velocity of 1635 fps.

Tom

Back