• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Double 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butt plate was from muzzleloader builders supply. Labeled as a single shot cartridge gun butt plate. $24. It wasn't bad putting it on. A bit of inletting with chisels and filing edges down to contour of stock. It was fairly close fit.

Really nice job of refinishing your CVA double. :thumb:

If anyone is interested in what I did to my CVA double they can follow this link to the thread I wrote on the forum.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/cva-12-guage-double-barrel.70939/
One of the hidden improvements I did when I refinished my shotgun was to improve the method of aligning the barrel with the stock.
As they come, there is a lug on the underside of the barrel for the key. This lug sits in a pocket that is milled into the stock. The problem I saw was, the pocket is way oversize for the lug so it does nothing to align the barrels with the stock.
To fix this, I used 2 small blocks of steel soldered to a piece of steel sheet metal to form a block with a groove in it that would fit the lug on the barrels. I then enlarged the pocket in the wood so that it would be a very close fit to the steel block and epoxied the block in place.
It does a very good job of keeping the barrels from moving from side to side.

SHOTGUN-004-WEB.jpg

The color on your stock looks very close to the final color I ended up with on my shotgun.

CVA-SHOTGUN-003web.jpg

Attachments

• CVA SHOTGUN 001.jpg
    CVA SHOTGUN 001.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 51
  • CVA-SHOTGUN-003web.jpg
    CVA-SHOTGUN-003web.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 54
Good fix and the buttplate "makes" the gun. I noticed the wedge wiggle on some and sold them on almost at same show they came in with. I have a very lightweight DGW Pedersoli that i hunted pheasant/shot ML trap with for years. Lost interest after the birds virtually vanished in CA central valley. Mine Came from MR Rollingblock the late Bill Wescombe from Glencoe CA. Think latter was "heir" to W Stokes Kirk and bannermans.

IMHO The CVAs are much beefier than mine and may take heavier charges and more field use/abuse. The lack of the plate always struck me odd giving the appearance of being incomplete.

they are going north of $600.00, on GUNBROKER. I have one that I have had and shot for over 30+yrs. made from a kit and it goes bang every time I take it out to shoot!!!

A nice one just sold here at auction on Saturday for $430.00 with buyer's fee. I thought about it but hey, I already have one. Like that's a legitimate reason, lol.

I bought a factory finish one, never fired, at a garage sale. I called CVA tech support back when they still supported sidelocks and the guy said that it was the best gun CVA ever sold but the price with a CVA label just didn't match up. I thought about adding a very thick butt pad to get more reach but found a period London 25 gauge that fit. Sold the 12 to a friend at a bargain price and still made a profit.

I bought a factory finish one, never fired, at a garage sale. I called CVA tech support back when they still supported sidelocks and the guy said that it was the best gun CVA ever sold but the price with a CVA label just didn't match up. I thought about adding a very thick butt pad to get more reach but found a period London 25 gauge that fit. Sold the 12 to a friend at a bargain price and still made a profit.
KUDDO;S to you!!

Went out this weekend with the CVA double and shot some clays. What a time. Shotgun performed flawlessly. First time shooting clays with black powder muzzleloader, and definitely won't be the last.

Back