• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Derringer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Riegl

50 Cal.
Reaction score
:bow: I have a CVA Derringer which I would like to shoot---it is a .45 ----any suggestions as to ball size??? :hatsoff:

I have a couple of Traditions derringers and they are both .45 cal. I shoot them with a .440 ball and a .010 patch over 25 grains of fff powder. If the .440 ball seems too tight then try a .433 ball. I can penetrate a 1" peice of seasoned yellow pine with my derringers. Probably not a one shot stopper but I wouldn't want to be standing in front of it when it goes off!

Don

PS definitely a close range weapon.

I use a .440 RB with 20gr FFFg in mine. It is rifled but it would be better if smooth. I've found that CVA pistols used cut down CVA rifle barrels so they have a 1:66 twist. My .45 CVA Kentucky pistol was very inaccurate.

You've gotten good advice already, but I'll still comment. Mine likes the .440 with a thin patch (though it is slightly harder to load this way). The .433 diam ball will also work and may be easier for you to load (though these are harder to find). The gun IS a close range piece anyway, so any slight differences in accuracy are moot anyway.

The ease of loading might be more your "cup of tea". I prefer mine to "shoot harder". I don't go more than a .38 Special empty case full of FFFg black powder--about 22-24gr capacity. I personally would never shoot Pyrodex, Triple 7, or any other substitute.

I have tried the gun out on a bundle of old cereal boxes (wet or dry, your preference) that have been collapsed and tied together. These make excellent tests for penetration and if you have kids, you go through enough cereal to keep a good supply of boxes on hand. FYI, I got about 2 1/2" of penetration in the cereal boxes (wet). It's no powerhouse, but it would work quite well across (or under) a card table!

Shoot Safely,
WV_Hillbilly

PS Don't try to make some kind of "magnum" out of this gun. You're just blowing the extra powder out of the muzzle and wasting it. Also, IF you are fortunate to have one that is suitably accurate, it makes a good hiking companion to deal with "legless vermin" (i.e. snakes). Just remember, PRACTICE!

My brother has an old CVA derringer. We put .445 ball in it with a 0.10 patch and 20 grains of 3f goex.
We use it as a noise maker we have never shot paper with it.

Back