• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA .45 kentucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a CVA Kentucky rifle. Thinking age wise mid 70's- 80's the rifle looks good, no cracks or poor fits but the bore is real bad like put away wet bad. I can get it for $100. I looked at barrel liners and I see they want over $8 per inch so that is out. I dont see many good barrels out there for this rifle. My first rifle was one of these and it shot well. I took a lot of game with it. Not sure what I should do about it. Is it worth re-barreling? Considering the cost of a new barrel and the work involved? Or maybe just wait till one shows up on here for sale with a good bore?

Give the barrel a good cleaning, then inspect it with a light. Still rough? 0000 steel wool and WD40 is the next step, followed by another good cleaning. Now it's time for a test fire, followed by another good cleaning. You just might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Sticking a 300 dollar liner, plus labor, in a 100 dollar rifle would be a waste of money.

You can buy a new Traditions Kentuckyish kit for 350 bucks.

Give the barrel a good cleaning, then inspect it with a light. Still rough? 0000 steel wool and WD40 is the next step, followed by another good cleaning. Now it's time for a test fire, followed by another good cleaning. You just might be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Yes, it may be worth doing that to see what is left in there.

Hard pass. I've been sucked into a "good deal" with a trashed bore thinking I could save it only to end up throwing the barrel out.

A trashed CVA bore repair is typically hard to recover from unless one is willing to invest more that the gun may be worth, with no guarantee repair will be successful. Your money, go for it if you must.

but the bore is real bad like put away wet bad. I can get it for $100.
Do what @Phil Coffins say's and wait.
If the barrels cooked it ain't worth a hoot. If you can get it for $40-50 for parts only grab it,, but with a bad barrel it's not worth a rebuild.
If the guy thinks it's worth more than that,, tell him he can go right ahead an "part it out",, then wait a week and see if he takes the 40,,

Flip the coin,, and those old slow twist 32" .45 cal barrels that can be found clean,, are freaking tack drivers!

I bought a 50 CVA Frontier rifle with a rough bore for a song. I spent about 10 hours with steel wool on a dowel rod and drill, followed by scotchbrite and plenty of oil, over about 4 days. It ended up with pits, but still would stay in 4-5" groups benched at 50 yards with prb. A guy popped off and bought it to hunt deer in the Red River bottom where 40 yards is a long shot.
I agree a rough bore can be made to shoot, sometimes really well, with some elbow grease and time.

I'm not aware of anyone lining or boring out CVA barrels due to the plug/bolster arrangement.

I bought a 50 CVA Frontier rifle with a rough bore for a song. I spent about 10 hours with steel wool on a dowel rod and drill, followed by scotchbrite and plenty of oil, over about 4 days. It ended up with pits, but still would stay in 4-5" groups benched at 50 yards with prb. A guy popped off and bought it to hunt deer in the Red River bottom where 40 yards is a long shot.
I agree a rough bore can be made to shoot, sometimes really well, with some elbow grease and time.

I'm not aware of anyone lining or boring out CVA barrels due to the plug/bolster arrangement.
I saw that bolster thing in a cut away view.

Back