• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA 1861

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swandog

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I thought my revolver was an 1851 but after looking at the manual I realized it's an 1861. My apologies to readers of my previous posts on this gun and for my rookie mistake. Anyway, it's an old 1980 kit that I built way back then and am just getting around to shooting (I've been busy). I took it out to 25 yards shooting off a pair of shooting sticks and it does fine. I'm using Goex fffg and old dried out Wonder Wads, also from 1980. #11 CCI caps hang on nicely.

The timing is off on this one and the cylinder is getting peened on the ramp. When I come to full cock I get two clicks. The first click is the bolt peening the cylinder and the second click is the bolt actually dropping into the notch where it's supposed to be. I'm not too concerned because I'll be getting either an 1860 or 1858 or both, probably Pietta, after Christmas and this one will go back on the shelf in my office where it has looked good for the last 38 years.
upload_2018-12-22_13-46-17.jpeg

Your pistol is a reproduction of a .44 caliber Colt 1860 Army.

The 1861 Colt was a .36 caliber pistol and its cylinder was a straight outside diameter.

Your pistol on the other hand has a step in its cylinders outside diameter. That enlarged area of the cylinder is needed for the .44 caliber Army.
I also noticed you used .457 diameter balls to shoot the target. :D

I guess CVA used artistic license when naming this model.lol It does have a navel battle scene on the cylinder though to live up to the Navy name. The grip feels a bit small for me and I'm hoping a current Pietta repo of an 1860 will be a bit larger.
upload_2018-12-22_17-58-17.jpeg

Latest posts

Back