• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting in a rear sight dovetail?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfrank

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a Lyman Deerstalker .54.

It is a fairly light rifle for woods carry but I don't like and really can't see the fiber optic sight. I just see green blurs with my old eyes.
I had a marbles Bullseye peep sight on a trade rifle and I liked it a lot.

Does anyone do or know where I could send the barrel and have a dovetail cut in for a rear sight?
I don't know of any machinist or gunsmiths around me that could do it.
I know you can buy a jig but by the time I bought a jig and the right files it might be better to let some one mill it or cut it instead.

Thanks!

Any local gunsmith should be able to do it for you without having to mail it off.

I am by no means a professional gunsmith or builder but If you absolutely cannot find someone to do it I will do it for you.

PM me if you need further assistance!

I have to agree it's not all that difficult and a minimum number of tools are required to cover the basics. That being said, C. Funneman a local gunsmith and muzzleloader enthusiast who could perform the work for you. I'm not certain his labor rate and besides sending the barrel, I'm certain he will want the sight to ensure proper fit. PM me and I will share his contact info.

Back