• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crosscut saw knife stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chunk of crosscut saw blade as well as a rusted old original that I had hoped to use to try making knives using the stock removal method. I guess the first thing I need to do is anneal as much of the blade as I can heat at a time, then chisel or saw out my blanks? Any help appreciated on getting out some useful pieces.

I use a diamond disc on a Dremel tool. Draw the pattern on the steel, put on your goggles, and use a succession of shallow cuts until you cut through. Then dress up the profile with files or a stationary belt sander. Usually saw blades don't have to be annealed using this method unless an industrial hacksaw or hardened metal cutting type. Hope this helps.

If you do heat the blade where you want to drill or cut, it will cut like butter while red hot. If you just anneal it and cool it, it will still be pretty tough stuff to cut. If I had a bandsaw, I would heat the blade at the places I wanted to cut, and then run it into the bandsaw and make the cuts, but do it in stages so I don't anneal the band saw blade! It goes faster than it takes to describe it here.

I'm going to chime in and suggest annealing if possible. Once annealed most steels are relatively soft and workable. You can cut and grind to your hearts content without worrying about ruining the temper (its not temepered yet). When you are done grinding and cutting you can normalize a couple cycles to take out any stress you put in and then give a proper heat treat and temper, and have an excellent usable knife.

Bill, the dremel tool plus a cutting wheel worked for me..I took the temper out of the tang, and drilled through the antler I was planning to use for my handle...so far, I've gotten 5 patch knife blades out of one old flea mkt crosscut saw blade..it's fun. Hank

Back